Seahawks find success at home meet

Mark Powell | Staff Writer

Annie Powell and Wil Zahorodny set school records in each of their respective events, while the UNC Wilmington men rolled to a convincing victory in the Seahawk Invitational, Saturday. The UNCW women took second place out of 11 schools.

Powell’s record performance of 12-feet-7 ½-inches in the pole vault competition was enough to beat the previous record of 12-feet-6-inches set in 2003. The senior holds the UNCW indoor record for the pole vault, as well.

Zahorodny broke the 1,500 meters record with a time of 3:49.17. The junior beat the old mark of set 15 years ago.

The men won in landslide fashion over second-place Northeastern, 222-107, who was the only other CAA school at the Greene Track & Field Complex. The women were edged by Elon, 165-159, in the last home meet of the season for the Seahawks.

“It was a great environment with all the alumni coming back into town and them getting to watch the young Seahawks run, and then also our athletes getting a chance to meet their idols and trying to break their records,” said head coach Jim Sprecher. “It was a nice way for our seniors to finish up their career at home with some strong efforts.”

Schools in attendance were: Northeastern, UNC Pembroke, North Dakota, Campbell, East Carolina, Livingston, UNC Greensboro, Shaw, Wake Forest, Elon, Barton and Salem.

Freshman sensation Maleena Reid won both the 100 and 200 meters for the women to continue her dominance in sprinting events during the indoor and outdoor seasons. Senior Cortney Wright and junior Sara Bowen each picked up wins for UNCW in the 100 and 400 hurdles, respectively, in what Sprecher called a “rebuilding” year for the women’s team.

“(Reid) is a special athlete; she showed that indoors breaking every sprint record that we had as a freshman,” said Sprecher. “The great thing about Maleena is she’s hungry and even with the success, she always wants to do better. A lot of our record holders are here today and they have already taken note of her and were sizing her up.”

Also picking up wins on the men’s side was junior Chris Felmet in the 110 hurdles, sophomore Logan Elliston in the high jump, sophomore Kyle Barbour in the discus and freshman Aerial Chatman in the triple jump.

The Seahawk men have won 10 CAA championships, including four of the last six, with the latest coming in 2009. Sprecher believes the team has a chance to compete for another title at this year’s CAA Track & Field Championships.

“The men are always a contender and are always one of the teams in the hunt for the title,” said Sprecher. “They just have to put in a lot of work and have a lot of luck as they go through the season.”

The team has almost two months to prepare for the conference tournament on May 6-7 in Richmond, V.A. George Mason and Northeastern are expected to be the Seahawks biggest competition for the title.

“Our guys know we have the type of athletes that can win another CAA championship,” said Ed Manning, a junior who competes in the triple jump for the men. “We just have to keep working hard every day and good things will happen.”

The Seahawk track & field teams returns to action on March 17-19 at the CCU Shamrock Invitational in Myrtle Beach, S.C.

NOTE: For a complete list of results from the meet, click here.