Wilmington Hotspots

Juliane Bullard | Lifestyles Editor

1. Flaming Amy’s

4002 Oleander Drive

Number one rule of Flaming Amy’s? Lighten up. This burrito barn caters to all UNCW students who would rather pay for a six dollar burrito with extra chips and all you can eat salsa than sit down at a restaurant where those with tattoos don’t get a discount on Tattoo Tuesday. This bumper sticker adorned restaurant defines Wilmington’s funky culture and begs you come back every Thursday for Thrifty Thursday’s dollar off doublewide entrees.

2. Olive or Twist

21 North Front Street

Pronounced “Oliver Twist” by all freshmen and later shortened to simply “OT’s” by those who know the names true origin, this eighteen and up club is the only one in downtown Wilmington that is open access to those under twenty-one, four days a week. With a five dollar cover charge for girls, and ten for guys, this hotspot is the biggest bang for your buck in the college club scene. It’s a must have experience for those new to the area, sporting penny draft domestics every Thursday for college night and no cover for those over twenty one with a school ID.

3. PT’s Grille

4544 Fountain Drive; 1437 Military Cutoff Road; 5916 Carolina Beach Road

This classic burger joint has a location in direct proximity to campus, right behind the McAlister’s off College Road and has a simple, clean cut menu of burgers, hotdogs and sandwiches.  Price-wise, the menu is a bargain, with everything under ten dollars and portions big enough to satisfy all most all hungry college students.

4. The Soapbox

255 North Front Street

A staple of Wilmington’s folk/funky/pop music scene, The Soapbox hosts small indoor concerts and shows every night of the week. Growing from its small beginnings as a hybrid Laundromat with beer and games, music became a part of its character and dynamic and soon started bringing local entertainment to the masses. Today, The Soapbox not only brings nationally touring bands and local musicians together, it also hosts a rave every last Thursday of the month, affectionately known as “Dirty Mega.”

Website: http://www.soapboxlaundrolounge.com

5. Mayfaire

900 Town Center Drive (Regal Cinemas Mayfaire)

A fresh shopping experience in the artistic and unique culture of Wilmington, Mayfaire offers the chain stores and name brand restaurants not seen around the rest of Wilmington. Sporting destination stores like Ann Taylor, Gap, J.Crew, Victoria’s Secret, and Francesca’s, Mayfaire is the shopping center with the ultimate tri-fecta of fine dining, shopping, and cinema.

6. Indochine

7 Wayne Street; off of Market Street

With the best of Wilmington’s Thai and Asian cuisine, Indochine is the ultimate dining experience from their famous Pad Thai noodles, to their interesting and unique interior design and patio decoration.  The best hid secret of Wilmington, Indochine offers huge portions and reasonable prices for a sit-down restaurant. The atmosphere itself, offers a worthwhile experience with its many twinkling lights, expressive decorations, and detailed portraits of Asian culture.

7. Fairy Circle

1045 South College Road; 5120 South College Road

Inspired by Wilmington’s trend of resale clothing and thrift stores, Fairy Circle’s popularity among UNCW students is well known on campus.  Their competitive prices paired with their assortment of clothing, jewelry, and accessories makes this hotspot a leading retail store among students and thrifty buyers alike.

8. Fuzzy Peach

250 Racine Street; 8549 Market Street; 310 Front Street; 5617 Carolina Beach Road

A staple of all UNCW student diets, The Fuzzy Peach is Wilmington’s own chain of frozen yogurt bars. Former students themselves, owners Roco Quaranto, Wells Struble, and Jason Nista, opened the first Fuzzy Peach only a couple feet from campus to cater to those with a sweet tooth wanting something healthy to satisfy it.