Events commemorate tenth anniversary of 9/11

Jordan Wilkins | Contributing Writer

September 11, 2001 changed the world as we knew it. Almost 3,000 people lost their lives, and many were injured in the terrorist attacks that struck America. Nineteen terrorists hijacked 4 planes that crashed into the World Trade Center’s North and South towers, the Pentagon and a field in Pennsylvania.

Sunday marks the 10th anniversary of this tragedy, and UNCW students have organized a week-long series of events to honor those who were lost. Starting Friday Sept. 9, the commemorative events will offer a time of reflection for students, and a time to honor first responders and veterans who have dedicated their time and service.

“We Remember: A Student Commemoration” is a student-organized event that will involve several thousand students coming together on Hoggard Lawn. On arrival, each participant will be given a piece of red, white, or blue paper with a name of one of the 2,997 victims killed in the attacks. Students will form the Twin Towers and the Pentagon. Local first responders and veterans will be attending and participants are asked to wear teal to this event.

“The event’s shining moment will be when each participant will hold up the name of a victim of 9/11 for an aerial photo, shot from a 50 foot lift, that will come together as the American flag,” said Dana Fischetti, Media Relations Manager.

Sunday, the UNCW Men’s Soccer team will be sporting special red, white and blue jerseys that will be auctioned during the game to support the 9/11 fund. The will also be honoring America’s heroes with a pregame flag ceremony and mini flag giveaway.

Following the game, a remembrance ceremony featuring music and the UNCW choir will be in held in Kenan Auditorium. The day will end with “Remembrance Monologues,” a performance by STAGE Co., the UNCW student theatre club, to dramatize America’s response to Sept. 11.

Student ambassadors will host Remembrance Notes on Monday and Tuesday in Warwick Ballroom. Students, faculty and staff are asked to write a remembrance note about Sept. 11, and ambassadors plan to distribute peace wristbands to participants.

The commemoration will continue with many films, panels and discussions, and special guest speakers who will offer a different side and story to Sept. 11 and the war that started shortly after. Jennifer Crance, a veteran and a speaker for Faces of War, will be speaking in Lumina Theatre.

For a full listing of events visit www.uncw.edu/911