Get Dirty, ‘Knotty’ and Wet

Courtney Richardson | Contributing Writer

Seahawk Adventures provides students with the opportunity to learn how to orienteer, tie knots, surf, flip a kayak, rock climb, hike, camp and more. The best part about these excursions is the price. One trip that is offered through Seahawk Adventures is the Black River Kayak Excursion. The cost for this trip was $20 and included all the instruction, gear and transportation. At a local, off-campus kayak rental, a trip to Black River costs between $120-$250 for the same experience and inclusions.

Sunday, Sept. 18, thirteen students traveled to Black River for a kayaking trip. The sky was overcast making the river mirror reflections of the cypress trees’ trunks. Everything was quiet except for the small chatter and splish-splash of the oars pushing the kayaks forward. For three hours the group kayaked up and down the river snapping incredible pictures of the algae swirls and mossy trunks poking out from the water.

Paddling down the river, freshman Devon Payne said, “Getting outdoors helps you relax. It’s my first year here and I want to get involved with everything.”

Seahawk Adventure Program assistant, Thomas Bartollota, decided to go back to school and get his degree in recreation. His witty charm lightened up the mood throughout the trip and he was very patient with the new kayakers.

“After I worked in the restaurant business for many years, I had a mid-life crisis and decided to go back to school. I love the outdoors, so I figured I would go back to school for something I loved. I hope to be employed by UNCW once I finish,” said Bartollota.

According to assistant director, Audra Trnovec, “Not a lot of students know about who we are and what we do. A lot of it is the UNCW website being re-built, and the other is we are trying to find ways to get the word out.”

If you are looking to get dirty, get “knotty” and get wet, check out the Seahawk Adventures homepage to discover classes and trips you may be interested in taking: http://uncw.edu/stuaff/camprec/outdoors.htm.