CARE Dedicates October to Students’ Safety

John DeLong | Contributing Writer

This Friday, CARE will be hosting an event titled “Why are We Attracted to People that are Bad for Us” at 12:00 p.m. in the Masonboro Island Room in the Fisher Student Center. The program will be an open discussion based on the media’s stereotypes of the “good girl” and “bad boy,” and why people are fascinated with those images. The event is a part of a long-running series of presentations introduced by CARE throughout October, which is Domestic Violence Awareness Month.

CARE, which stands for Collaboration for Assault Response and Education, is an organization that educates students about violence and sexual assault, and also helps victims.  According to Austin Hinton, a peer educator with CARE, the group “not only provides aid to those who have been directly affected by violence, but also education and training to others on how to know the signs of a violent relationship, and how to best help the person in need.”

Friday’s event is one of many that focus primarily on issues within relationships. “Movies and songs show that ‘bad boy’ character who many people tend to find attractive, but for what reasons? Logically, we should want a good boy or girl. This presentation will address that question, and show that wanting a fictional bad person is different than actually dealing with a bad person in a relationship,” said Chelsea Niemann, another CARE peer educator.

Along with this, numerous other events are planned throughout the week and the rest of the month.  Every Thursday night, CARE hosts a happy hour in Sharky’s Game Room, where students can come get free food and meet the peer educators.  On Wednesday, the Long Distance Relationship Panel will be presented in the Masonboro Island Room at 7:00 p.m.  Thursday, the Got Consent Session, a presentation based around sexual consent, will take place in the Sunset Beach Room in the Fisher Student Center at 11:00 a.m.  A full list of events sponsored by CARE can be found on the UNCW website.