SGA rallies against hate

Karen Brown | Contributing Writer

The SGA has started an anti-bullying movement titled Breaking Down Hate. As a part of this movement Quentin Johnson, Director of Multicultural Affairs for the SGA, and his fellow Diversity Committee members have developed a calendar for the ten-month school year they call “Ten Things I Like About You.” The calendar will have a monthly theme starting in August and continuing through May. This month they are tackling the issue of LGBT rights.

“The PRIDE Rally was initially planned for National Coming Out day on Oct. 11, but was changed due to Fall Break,” said Johnson. The new date for the rally is Oct. 18, and will be held in the courtyard between the two Fisher buildings.

Sharay Setti, a member of the Diversity Committee helped put the rally together.

“It’s going to be fun and full of energy. The banner itself will be very informative of the types of hateful things that are said,” said Setti.

“We really wanted a fun, interactive event that would require the participation of students of various sexual orientations. What better way to come out than to come out with pride, like football players? We’ve developed the idea to have a banner/poster with the derogative, anti-LGBTQIA comments written by students to be split by charging pro-LGBTQIA participants, symbolizing the breaking down of LGBTQIA hate crimes,” said Johnson.

They plan to have football related activities to amp people up about the cause. Johnson will lead a huddle chant to get participants energized before they break through the banner like football players do before a game.

“I hope this event will promote tolerance and inclusion in the UNCW community. This event will allow students to have a better understanding of various sexual orientations” said Johnson.

“I happen to have a lot of gays and bisexuals in my family, and I want them to know that they have my support,” said Setti.

Showing support for fellow UNCW students, friends, and family who are members of the LGBT community is the main goal of this month’s Breaking Down Hate event, entitled “I Like Your Sexual Orientation.”