Obama asks students to set their sights on college

Jessica Ferrer | Contributing Writer

It’s not just parents who want their kids to go college. Now the president wants them to go too.

President Obama delivered his third annual back-to-school speech Sept. 28 to students at Benjamin Banneker Academic High School in Washington, D.C. Benjamin Banneker, a magnet school, is one of the top high schools in D.C.

Part of Obama’s message was about hard work and perseverance, and graduating high school is a result of this. But it doesn’t end with high school.

“You have to not only graduate, but you’ve got to keep going after you graduate,” said Obama.  Going to college wasn’t always an obvious choice for most people. Having a degree was more of a rare commodity.

“I do believe that all students should go to college because it gives them the chance to live a life that they may have once thought was not possible. With further education, they will be able to be qualified for more and better jobs, which in return could lead to better lives,” said sophomore Kenzie Hopkins.

“More than 60 percent of the jobs in the next decade will require more than a high school diploma,” said Obama. Getting a degree could be becoming a necessity. One way to get more kids to go to college could be lowering the costs of attendance.

“By lowering tuition costs, it will give these people the chance to do so, and help the economy in return,” said Hopkins. Before sending students to college, however, junior Annie Boyle thinks the public school system is in desperate need of reform. The education students receive in high school might have to become stronger in order to help them be more successful in college. 

“Americans could be getting a much better education in primary and secondary schools, and that should be our focus before we send everyone to college,” said Boyle. Yet college is not always the immediate choice for everyone.

“There are plenty of people who may benefit from taking time off after high school before attending college, including myself, and even not attending school at the college level whatsoever. To say that college is the right choice for everyone is to say that everyone should follow the same path,” said junior Zak Roe.

Obama recognizes in his speech that a four-year college may not be for everyone, but he still wants students to continue to get an education no matter what.