UNCW men’s basketball season preview

Ben Brown | Staff Writer

When the UNC Wilmington men’s basketball season tips off in less than two weeks, it will have a new feeling to it. Brand new Jordan uniforms, a new look to Trask Coliseum and most importantly new players. The Seahawks have a young team this year as they introduce nine freshmen to the squad from coach Buzz Peterson’s first recruiting class at UNCW.

The first order of business will be to improve upon last year’s 13-18 record and eighth place CAA finish. “I’ve said all along this has got to be one of the youngest teams in the country,” Peterson said. “The thing I want to do is make sure we grow as a team.”

UNCW returns four upperclassmen and just a handful of players that have starting experience. Junior forward Keith Rendleman is back after starting every game last year, as well as being the top rebounder (7.8 rpg) and second leading scorer (11.2 ppg). Third leading scorer Trevor Deloach (8.8 ppg) and sophomore guard Donte Morales, who started 26 games last year, will also be expected to be key contributors.

However, what the Seahawks lack in experience, they don’t lack in potential. Talented players such as guards Adam Smith, Freddie Jackson, K.K. Simmons and forward Luke Hager highlight the incoming freshman class. ESPN.com ranked Hager and Jackson 48th and 99th respectively at their positions, while Smith and Simmons are scoring threats that can shoot from three-point range.

The freshmen players are skilled as well as athletic, and that has many people expecting big things from them. “My expectations, the city’s expectations and the coach’s expectations are all the same,” junior center Matt Wilson said. “We have a big class and a lot of talent and we expect big things from them. As a player I’m not going to accept anything less than that.”

This year, the team will rely heavily on experienced players like Deloach, Rendleman and Wilson. “Coaches and everyone turn to me to be more of a leader coming from the last two seasons,” Rendleman said. “Its something I’m willing to step up to and take on that challenge.”

For such a young team, leadership will be important for keeping the players headed in the right direction. “Keith leads by example and Trevor is more vocal,” Peterson said. “When it gets tough and I take them out of their comfort zone in a situation, those upperclassmen are the ones talking and encouraging the other guys.”

One of the team’s more difficult tasks this season will be replacing guard Chad Tomko, who graduated last year. Tomko was the team leader in statistics such as points per game (17.6), assists (4.3 apg) and steals (58), and he was a tough player who always wanted the ball in his hands late in games.

“I don’t think you’re going to be able to replace a player like that,” Wilson said. “Chad brought a couple things to the table that you won’t be able to find, but some of our freshmen have similar qualities.”

The Seahawks face an uphill battle this year as they play a tough non-conference and CAA schedule. “We do have a very challenging schedule,” Peterson said. “It’s going to be tough to put all these freshman in front of so many good teams, but at the same time we’ve got to sell tickets and we know our fans want to see good teams come here.”

With recent NCAA tournament success from CAA teams like VCU, George Mason and Old Dominion, UNCW is looking to become a formidable conference opponent this year as well as into the future.

“It’s exciting playing against strong competition,” freshman guard Adam Smith said. “We’re excited because we think we can be one of those top teams soon. A team that will be able to make noise in the conference as well as the tournament.”

With so much change swirling around the UNCW basketball program, one constant is how much the players appreciate their head coach. He brings a fiery attitude and a commitment to winning basketball games.

“He’s a great guy,” Deloach said. “He just wants to win. He puts us through tough situations in practice so it’s easier for us in games, and so we know how to win. He wants all his players to inherit his winning mentality.”

UNCW will look to begin the season with a bang on Nov. 13 as they travel to College Park to take on the perennial ACC powerhouse Maryland Terrapins. “There couldn’t be a better way to open it,” Deloach said. “Against an ACC team, at their house. You dream of those situations.”