Randall Library Presents Their Annual Flash Fiction Contest

Jordan Wilkins | Staff Writer

Flash fiction is a style of fictional writing or a short form of storytelling that requires extreme conciseness. There is no widely accepted definition of the length of the category. Some self-described markets for flash fiction impose caps as low as 300 words, while others consider stories as long as 1000 words to be flash fiction.

On Monday Feb. 6, Randall Library will officially announce the theme of this year’s annual Flash Fiction Contest. All enrolled students are welcome to enter the contest and a cash prize is awarded to the top three stories.

With a deadline of 5 p.m. Monday, Feb. 13, students are given a week’s time to write a short, 500 word or less story that uses the contest’s theme and mentions Randall Library in some manner.

Stories will be judged by faculty members representing Randall Library, the English Department and the Creative Writing Department. The top three stories and approximately 10 runners-up will be printed in an anthology that will be published by the UNCW Publishing Laboratory.

The stories in the anthology will be accompanied by original student illustrations courtesy of Ned Irvine’s Art 260 class, and will be read at a Reception Book Party held in mid-April to celebrate creative writing at UNCW.

Flash fiction judges look for stories that pop and that are complete, imaginative, memorable and original. The judges encourage students to have fun, be creative and explore the corners of their minds for a great story.

Last year’s theme, “25,” honored a Randall Library milestone, for it has been 25 years since the library last experienced an expansion and renovation. At that time Randall Library’s building was less than half the size it is now and was facing towards College Road.

According to contest rules the story must be double-spaced, with 12 point font, and three copies should be printed and delivered to the library Admin Suite, Room #1010. Name, email and phone number should be on attached cover sheet and not on the story itself to facilitate blind review.