UNCW ‘super fan’ candidate: Ma Hawk’s cheers are about life lessons

Lauren Clapper | Staff Writer

Editor’s Note: Please vote in our sports poll as we try to crown the UNCW “super fan.” Your choices are Konductor Kenny, Ma Hawk or Parker G. Voting will close March 8 at midnight.

The basketball games at UNC Wilmington wouldn’t be complete without the woman with the Seahawk puppets, entertaining young children, dancing for free throws and leading the students in cheers. Mary Helm, or as many refer to her, “Ma Hawk,” is a UNCW alumna whose love for the college and its teams prompted her to don the golf club covers she uses as puppets.

But, who is the woman behind the cheers?

Helm’s inspiration for showing her school spirit rested in her empathy for others. After working for years as an interior designer, she returned to UNCW to work in the school bookstore, where she used her warm nature to put students at ease.

“I saw freshmen who had mixed looks on their faces,” Helm said. “They just started their adult lives; I wanted to reach out to them.”

She was inspired to dance and cheer after attending a basketball game with two of her friends, also UNCW graduates. Her friend, Edie, would put her hands up for free throws and spin if they were made. A former cheerleader, her ability to lift a crowd’s spirits came naturally.

“I added the golf club covers,” Helm said, referring to the Hawks many call puppets. “That’s how they were born. The first time I went to cheer with the students was during a game we desperately need to win. I felt that the students’ support could only help lift our spirits. I give the students credit that their spirit pulled the team through that time, and it has happened many times since then.”

Helm’s friendly personality and interest in helping others resulted from her father’s influence. At nine years old, he quit school to support his family by working a job carrying water to work mules in Mississippi for 25 cents a day.

“For him to take, at age nine, 25 cents and give his family and his neighbors many comforts…this is when I get firm with our students,” she said. Her easygoing, warm demeanor faded to seriousness as she emphasized her point. “I say: ‘Compare the chance you’ve got to my dad’s. Take advantage of the university and see what you get out of it.'”

Helm’s caring and empathetic nature is evident in everything she does. “The word ‘family,’ as far as location to me, is making Earth our home,” she said. “I try to apply it to each situation so that the meaning or the gesture will carry over into larger areas…by that I mean: I am a Seahawk. And I am a fan member of the CAA. I love the people in our conference.”

Helm stated that she does not believe in judging others, and underlined the importance of helping others. She also said that the way you treat yourself is equally important—if not more. “Don’t ever forget to call yourself precious,” she said. “As an individual starts to think about their faith and the higher power that they choose, don’t rush to decisions until you conquer the act of forgiveness.”