Forever Young: Senior Citizens and Students Dance the Night Away at Young at Heart Social

Chloe Miller | Staff Writer

The polka; the rumba; Tennessee waltz and bunny hop: the dance styles of a different generation. Over 100 seniors and 200 student volunteers danced the night away to such tunes at UNCW’s 18th annual Young at Heart social on Feb. 9, 2012. Valentine’s Day celebrations came early as all attendees enjoyed an evening of good music, fun prizes, and innocent fun with old friends while making a few new ones.

“We’ve been coming to (Young at Heart) for 15 years. It’s such a splendid time. And I always love a good excuse to dress up!” said local senior citizen Erma Maylett , as she smiled and tapped her feet to the music alongside her group of long-time friends.

Red and pink balloons flourished from the tables, while bright lights joined together to paint the walls with hearts at the Burney Center on the UNCW campus. Soulful, classic beats, provided by the popular Dusty Long Band, fill the air as young students and the elderly mingle on the dance floor.

“The music is the best. We keep coming back for Dusty, just to listen to her and the band and to hear the music I love,” Maylett’s friend, Rita Bute, said “I used to line dance all night, you know back quite a few years ago. Now, I can make it for a few songs, but sitting here just listening is a-okay with me.”

The Dusty Long Band is a main appeal for a lot of the seniors, as they have been a consistent part of Young at Heart for a few years. The senior citizen’s true passion for classic music and dancing can be easily seen through their eagerness to jump out of their seat when a jazz number begins, when a handsome, young UNCW student asks a woman in a wheelchair to dance, or as the frequent smiles and laughs radiate from couples on the ballroom floor.

Evie Burton comes to Young at Heart with a few of her neighbors in place of going out for any romance on the actual day of love.

“I can’t get my husband to leave the house most days, let alone take me out on Valentine’s Day,” Burton laughed. “This social means I can still get up, get dressed, go out and have fun. I have to make sure I can still have fun.”

“Why wouldn’t I come spend an evening with a bunch of younger folks?” senior citizen Paul Franklin said, “It’s extremely generous of them to give some of their time to us.”

Everyone got the opportunity to take home a souvenir Valentine’s Day photo, decorated with hearts and plenty of pink as a memento to remember their time at Young at Heart. Many prizes were available as raffle numbers were called throughout the evening, rewarding seniors with anything from t-shirts to gift certificates to Paint-N-Play in Wilmington. And, of course, there was plenty of cake and other tasty treats.

Volunteers and seniors alike dressed to the nines in high heels, ties and bowler hats creating a classy, special occasion for all. Nothing but love came from the Young at Heart social on the 9th, and it was a truly sweet event for everyone.