UNCW ‘super fan’ candidate: Parker G has athlete’s mindset

Jackie Gorman | Staff Writer

Editor’s Note: Please vote in our sports poll as we try to crown the UNCW “super fan.” Your choices are Konductor Kenny, Ma Hawk or Parker G. Voting will close March 8 at midnight.

The sports community at UNC Wilmington is a small, close-knit group where many of the fans are regular game-goers. One fan in particular is known throughout UNCW as a whole. Parker Grissom, 19, dubbed “Parker G,” is the hype Hawk. 

Grissom is a sophomore majoring in Exercise Science. A graduate of Hopewell High School in Charlotte, he was part of a group of students who displayed spirit at all athletic events. He also participated on multiple high school athletic teams, such as baseball and football.

When he came to UNCW, he decided that his passion for sports wasn’t going to stop at graduation. Grissom stepped on campus determined to be an all-around adoring Seahawk and wanting to build a base of spirit among the students, so that when he graduates he can look back on a legacy of “Seahawk spirit.”

“I want to benefit our student athletes without playing and influence them with my voice,” he said. “As a player, you don’t want silence. The last thing you want is that silence.” He is currently the captain of the Ultimate club team and teaches a kickboxing class at the student recreation center.

Grissom is most identified by his choice of clothing and a Frisbee in hand. He has been spotted wearing an orange robe–which has an interesting story behind it that Grissom will gladly tell to anyone who is interested–a full body suit, and teal attire from head to toe.

“I really love the color teal,” he said. “I like to go a little over the top, especially on special days such as ‘Teal Tuesdays’ and game days. Any opportunity I have to wear teal, I will wear teal: from a shirt to a headband and sunglasses.”

He is also known for leading the student section during basketball games. “I am thankful that I have the trust of my fellow students to start cheers and know that they will follow,” he said. “I can always count on them to say ‘Hawks’ when I yell ‘Sea!'”

Grissom wouldn’t say that there is a lack of spirit at UNCW, but thinks there could be much more. He has confidence that the school’s spirit will double in the next few years. “What we have to remember is that it’s easy to have spirit when we are winning every game. But it’s when we aren’t that we need spirit the most,” he said.

Grissom truly believes he was born to be a Seahawk. “I didn’t choose UNCW,” he said. “UNCW chose me. I am going to be a Seahawk until I die, and that is something I can be excited about.”