“Importance of Being Earnest” brings the rom-com to UNCW this Valentines Day

Chloe Miller | Staff Writer

One hundred seventeen years ago, on Valentine’s Day 1895, the delightful, elegant and extremely humorous performance of Oscar Wilde’s “The Importance of Being Earnest” entranced audiences for the first time. Wilde’s distinguished and respected play has since charmed playgoers as well as literature lovers everywhere.

Now this Feb. 14 Wilde’s masterpiece will be performed at Kenan Auditorium by Aquila Theatre, a widely popular London-based touring company. This British-American group brings magic, drama and relevance to the stage, without omitting their great talent for creativity and knack for language. Aquila modernizes classics and toys with clever staging while still upholding intelligence.

“Aquila Theatre is a world-renowned theatre company with performers at the very top of their profession. I feel it is infinitely important that our students here at UNCW are culturally aware of the abundance of opportunities to see world-class performances,” said Thor Morgan, an event production intern at UNCW Presents.

A romantic comedy radiating wit and satirical pleasure, “Earnest” follows the schemes and ventures of Algernon Moncrieff and Jack Worthing. The pair are good friends associated with the posh, uppity British high class yearning for an escape from their lackluster country lives. To leave their social obligations behind, they invent the imaginative personas of Bunbury and Ernest. Hilarity ensues as the double lives of both characters interrupt pursuits of love.

The good friends come to the understanding that an individual should be sincere and heartfelt, otherwise known as being earnest. Creating fake alter egos, one of which is ironically named Ernest, does not constitute with such personality traits.

The deceptions and mishaps weave a web of wit and comedy, discoveries and romance. A well-rounded play with something to offer everyone, “Earnest” is an event not to be missed, for students, faculty and the Wilmington public alike.

“To see a group like Aquila Theatre is an amazing deal,” Morgan said, “and deals like this one, for only $6, disappear after (students) graduate. There is no better time to reap the benefits of the performing arts than your college years, and UNCW students should recognize this.”

Even for those familiar with “Earnest”, Aquila brings a fresh, new vision of the classic to the stage. Innovative prop use and minimal set display classify Aquila as a modern troupe, with an excellence in execution and full embodiment of the play’s larger than life characters. Aquila makes sure to leave a memorable impression on audience’s nation-wide, and an inventive twist on their classic performances.

“Earnest” is an ideal part of a Valentine’s Day evening. Whether with friends or a significant other, “Earnest” and Aquila Theatre make the perfect pair, with Bunbury and Ernest assisting in the laughs, to delight and charm audiences on this special day in Wilde, and romantic, history.

Tickets are $22 for the general public, $18 for faculty and staff, and $6 for students. Call Kenan Box Office at 910.962.3500 or buy tickets online at www.etix.com.