The Seahawk men’s golf team is better than you

James Edmonds | Staff Writer

You probably thought you had a tough time getting back into the school routine once this semester started back up. It was tough to kick-start your academic drive after lounging at home eating Bon Bons and watching the South Park Christmas special.

I understand. I’m with you. Now we’re all back in the swing of things, managing to balance social life and school work. If you want to pat yourself on the back, I recommend you stop reading here.

Obviously, you decided to read on, so prepare yourself for the forthcoming feeling of general inadequacy that will overtake you when you hear about the accomplishments of the UNC Wilmington men’s golf team.

After a first half of the athletic year described as “full of ups and downs” by coach Matthew Clark, the golf team has been working hard to become more consistent. The guys have put in a ton of hours—even through winter break—to ensure they will be ready for the spring portion of their competitive season. “I’m very optimistic about the upcoming season,” said Clark. “Everyone has been working hard, and I feel like they’re ready to compete,” Clark believes those workouts will help the Seahawks progress.

Usually after a good workout, I like to play FIFA or Madden video games while I rationalize not going to the gym again for a couple weeks. The Seahawks, instead, like to hit the books while they recover. “It’s something not everyone knows about, but we have the highest average team GPA,” said Clark with a smile. “They’re really bright guys, all of them, and we take pride in that.”

It gets worse.

The men’s golf team has also completed well over 400 community service hours during the past semester. That’s an average of over 25 hours for each individual golfer, or about the amount of time that the average college student spends on Facebook in a two-week period. The Seahawks cheerfully fit those service hours somewhere in between the classroom excellence, and hours of hard work in the weight-room and on the course. Around this point in my conversation with Clark, I began to wonder when these demi-gods of achievement slept.

“We’ve got to keep working hard towards our ultimate goal: defending our CAA championship,” said Clark. The Seahawks have been CAA champions for the past two years, also making it past the regional round in the NCAA Tournament both times.

As of now, Clark takes a humble stance when talking about his team. “It’s tough to predict how we’ll finish now,” said Clark. “We’ve got to make a few more putts, sink a few more birdies and see if we can keep climbing up the rankings.”

Amid a February schedule that is, no doubt, filled with serving the Wilmington community and acing all the tests and quizzes, the golfers will be teeing off their spring season at the Landfall Country Club, Feb 26-27.

Clark encourages students to attend the free event, because it will provide a fun, high-energy atmosphere for the both the golf team and the fans. I encourage students to attend because, just maybe, we can absorb some of their super-human abilities through close contact. It’s worth a shot.