Presidential candidate rejects college-level education

Kristiana Sigmon | Staff Writer

On the evening of the Arizona and Michigan political primary, former senator from Pennsylvania Rick Santorum called President Obama a “snob” for supporting higher education.

“He wants everybody in America to go to college. What a snob. There are good decent men and women that go out and work hard every day that put their skills to test that aren’t taught by some liberal college professor,” Santorum said.

Santorum’s message has caused uproar from all who watched the primary. He was an advocate of higher-level education in 2006, but it seems he may have changed his mind.

“Doesn’t he know who’s going to vote for him? I mean just because we’re a bunch of college students doesn’t mean that we don’t know what’s happening in the campaign,” said Courtney Mason, a student at Fayetteville Technical Community College. “If he expects me to vote for him after putting me down for trying to accomplish more than just flipping burgers in life, then he has another thing coming.”

“The jobless rate for last month for those with just a high school degree was twice as high for those with college degrees. Santorum himself is a lawyer with three degrees, and his two oldest children are enrolled in college as well,” said Dean Reynolds.

Santorum recently changed his mind once again about the higher education issue. This past Friday, he called his accusation of President Obama “a little over the top.”

“It was a strong term … I got a little passionate there and I used a harsher word than I normally would, but the point was government shouldn’t be dictating to people what they do,” said Santorum on CNN’s “The Situation Room.”

Now that Santorum has explained the situation, have his supporters decided to stick with him?

“The damage has already been done. I’m not going to forget what he said about my education,” said Mason. “He’s already a flip-flopper; I hope the people see how he really is before they vote for him to become president.”

“Sure, the government has a place in college education, but they are not the ones making my decision for me,” said Alex Hall, a senior in high school. “If I decide to go, I will.”