Diversity rules the UNCW rugby scene

Chelsea Pyne | Contributing Writer

Rugby, an unfamiliar and foreign sport to most Americans, has been getting a lot of support from UNC Wilmington players and fans. The UNC Wilmington men’s club rugby team, which has not lost a home game in two-and-a-half years, may be the school’s new, favorite past time.

How have they been so good? It’s simple, listen to their voices—foreign accents rule the field. The diversity of international students is abundant on the team. Players range from Australia to the United Kingdom with other countries in between.

Rugby to international students is football to Americans. It is their home sport, and one that is finally getting attention in the United States. One player, Selim Bekar, is a French student on the team who, team member Bryan Camble describes as 6-foot-3-inches tall and 350 pounds.

“I don’t understand what he’s saying most of the time,” another fellow player Tate Taylor described, “but, he’s a tank and a great guy.”

Coach Jim Wiseman recognizes the importance of an international presence. “They know the rules, the tricks and a lot about strategy,” Wiseman said. “This is a huge help to me as a coach in the fall when we are training US players who have never played the game before. They also show the new players how popular the sport is in other parts of the world and help get them excited about it.”

The Spanish duo of Carles Ferrer and Luis Peréz have been leaders on the field. Expert English speakers, the two have had no trouble communicating with their teammates. Ferrer has been a playmaker and has assisted in many “tries,” which are equivalent to touchdowns. Peréz has been solid in the backline and “scrum,” which is the mess of players huddled together as they wrestle for the ball.

It is no question the rugby team holds a unique bond. They take their community on and off the field. They are seen at Wagoner Hall after practice taking up many tables; and after they win a game, deck-collapsing parties are thrown.

Last semester, the team had several Australians who were known for their laid-back personalities. Nic Watkins, from the University of Wollongong said, “It was a quick way to make 50 new friends straight away…They are genuinely good blokes and looked after me really well and made me feel at home.”

The men’s team has created a family that reminds the foreign players of home. The diversity gives them an edge and a special bond not all teams have. As the team continues to grow, they excel more. Currently ranked eighth in the nation, they are a team to get excited about.