Seahawk sports weekend with UNCW super fan, Parker G

Parker Grissom | Guest Writer

Editor’s Note: Recently awarded UNCW super fan, “Parker G” shares his experiences of the past weekend, which was filled with Seahawk athletic events. Enjoy his unique perspective and unrivaled dedication to UNCW sports.

As an ordinary student here at UNC Wilmington, I highly enjoy athletics at the college level. I also appreciate the hard work and dedication of the average college student here at Wilmington to maintain a quality GPA due to the high standards that UNCW upholds.

Since I have experienced basic studies for three semesters, I realize that time management is vital to an optimal college experience. For a student to have a healthy social and academic life is an everyday routine.

To add a vigorous workout routine full of practice, weight training and games on top of this requires a maximized unity between the mind, body and spirit. So, when I go to sporting events here, I see the stunning results of all this hard work in action against an opponent of a similar life style.

I will speak of the most recent weekend here in Wilmington, March 30-April 1. The Seahawk baseball team had a three-game series against Old Dominion University starting Friday where I wore the shaolin training uniform to the teal gate behind the fields and met some of the friendliest parents.

We discussed the inspiring stories of how their children became UNCW Diamond Hawks. Over in the stands there was a great turn out by the Alpha Xi Deltas as well as many other Seahawks ready for some baseball.

The Seahawks started the series off strong with a 10-4 victory and took that momentum into a rainy Saturday. Our record-breaking track and field squad teamed up with Eastern Carolina University to battle the mountain teams of Western Carolina and Appalachian State and dominated for the first time in four years, showing their dedication to perfection has paid off this year.

The sun came out for the baseball game on Saturday, which created a great atmosphere of Seahawks that were flying by the stadium and decided to come in and check out UNCW’s 7-3 victory.

Sunday was even nicer, and the men’s tennis squad had a match against Old Dominion that I arrived at after my Ultimate Frisbee practice to see an intense singles battle on every court. I noticed as the match ensued, Seahawks would fly by the courts and ask me about the team and I ended up giving them the international explanation of our squad and they seemed very interested in the cultural individuality and uniqueness of each player.

After the Seahawk domination of Old Dominion on the courts finished, I made the short flight over to the diamond where our Hawks were battling into the 10th inning. The sweep of Old Dominion was completed in edge-of-your-seat, nail-biting style by Jake Koenig’s clutch squeeze bunt.

The baseball games are fun to attend thanks to the constant chatter of the fearless core that is witty and humorous. The fear to cheer diminishes when the core yells out jokes at the pitchers and batters of opposing teams allowing the average Seahawk and their flock to come out and have a good time squawking anonymous opinions at the opposing teams, creating a great atmosphere.

On each day of events I would see these high-level athletes perform on the court or on the field, then I would go to Wagoner Hall and Dubs Café and see them all sitting at tables with the opportunity to go up and speak with them. This is a huge opportunity for a fan to be accepted to eat at a table with all of these intelligent athletes where I could ask them anything that I wanted to.

From Friday to Monday, I encountered the beautiful volleyball squad, the superfast swim squad full of Dolphins and the Land Sharks, the beyond ballin’ basketball squads, the repetitively returning men’s and women’s tennis squads, the sick soccer squads (futbolers), the rightly respected track and field squad, and each one of them approved and highly encouraged flocks of Seahawks to come join them in their consuming of nutrients.

I hope one day that the curiousity for greatness overcomes the shyness of ignorance, and athletes and students merge together in one united flock. Together we soar; divided we land.