Unemployment on a rise

Tabitha Shiflett | Contributing Writer

In August, North Carolina had a rise in unemployment rates.

The state unemployment rate is now 9.7 percent, which is 1.6 percent higher than the national average. 

Although August rates were high, unemployment is still in better standing now than in 2011, when the rating was 10.7 percent.

Parents, students and recent graduates are experiencing the unfortunate side effects of these statistics every day.

“Every day we see current students, graduates and alumni looking to change their current job or to just find a job in general,” said Thom Rakes, director of the UNCW Career Center.

The career center provides students and alumni with various resources to help in their search for a full-time job, part-time job or career. 

On the career services webpage students, can sign up with Career Shift, a regularly updated site with numerous job listings. Students can also make a SeaWork account, designed to help students get in touch with potential employers on campus or nearby.

The career center also gives advice on how to write a cover letter, how to type up a resume and how to nail an interview. 

For quick questions, the Career Express Lane is open Monday through Friday 2-4 p.m., and Wednesdays and Thursdays 9-11 a.m.

Even with these resources, there are many struggles that make the job market a challenge, including competitiveness between graduates, geographical limitations and industry-specific positions. Few jobs are left in the safe zone.

“Health care, accounting and applied computer technology jobs are strong right now, but everyone else seems to be struggling,” said Rakes.

“I was in the military for two years before I came to UNCW, so my tuition was supposed to be paid for, but the paperwork just hasn’t come through yet.,” said UNCW freshman Jordan Guerin. “I’ve applied for many part-time positions, but I still haven’t heard any word back. I don’t think my parents should have to pay my college bills when they have bills of their own.”

On average, 150 to 200 people come in daily looking for jobs, according to Walker Biggs, manager of the Division of Workforce Solutions office in downtown Wilmington.

“We do not schedule appointments for people to file for unemployment,” said Biggs. “That job belongs to the Division of Employment Security. Our job is to find jobs for others, and we try to do our best at doing just that.”

Plenty of resources are available to the public on the NC Department of Commerce’s Workforce site including, but not limited to, Job Link, the Share Network, and a “tool kit” designed to help those pursuing a career find their way.

The site also gives information for adolescents and veterans looking for work.