Jason LeVasseur Concert on the Commons

Jason LeVasseur gets into his rendition of “The Itsy Bitsy Spider.” LeVasseur played many of his own songs, but ended them with popular, well-known songs today. He also encouraged crowd participation and sing-alongs from the students.

Shelby Purvis | Staff Writer

Last week, students had the chance to attend a warm but pleasantly cloudy outdoor concert featuring musician and singer, Jason LeVasseur. whose performance was a part of the Concerts on the Commons series coordinated by the Association for Campus Entertainment (ACE).

LeVasseur was selected by the folks at ACE, who go through a very detailed process to decide which musicians they will invite to UNCW.

“ACE decides all of our Concerts on the Commons by getting a list of available bands. The ACE concerts committee listens to them, decides who they think students will like, and then Dustin Clark (the ACE President) goes out to audition and contract the band,” said Mariah Admire, ACE Concerts Operations Coordinator.

Luckily for UNCW students, LeVasseur made the cut. During his two and a half hour long performance, the amphitheater remained pleasantly crowded the entire time as students filtered in and out on their way to classes and lunch.

“Jason has a friendly and upbeat tempo, he is a great artist and crowds love him!” said Kristen Doolan, ACE Concerts Coordinator and a LeVasseur fan.

The crowd agreed with Doolan’s assessment of LeVasseur. His energy and positive attitude seemed to spread throughout the amphitheater as the concert went on. He was comfortable onstage, and radiated that comfort to the audience, especially with his wry sense of humor. At one point, he commented on the convenience of the nearby pond in case of a lightning strike. 

“You never know when you’re going to need the closest body of water,” said LeVasseur.

After witnessing his witty one-liners and obvious musical talent, there were many people who stayed to listen for almost the entire concert, a rarity during a busy time of the afternoon.

His voice is smooth and easy on the ears, as are his guitar playing skills. He played many original songs, like “One More Hour” and “Roll On.” He also performed several covers, including some oldies-but-goodies like “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?” and “Time After Time.” But he also kept the audience on their toes with oddities like “Puff, the Magic Dragon” and “The Itsy Bitsy Spider.”

LeVasseur has been interested in music for most of his life, learning to play drums and beginning to write songs during his elementary school years.

“I just had something to say,” said LeVasseur.

He’s also been playing guitar for about 11 years. But, despite his interest in music, LeVasseuradmits that he had no idea in high school that what he loved would end up being his career. While working on his Bachelor’s degrees in English and philosophy at Wake Forest University, LeVasseur started playing in a band called “Life in General.” Looking back, he says this was really the start of his career. After college, he decided to go solo.

“I got a booking agent, all of that good stuff. It just happened very organically,” said LeVasseur.

Today, he continues to write his own songs, drawing inspiration from relationships, as well as things that he watches his friends go through. On his album, “In Another Life,” he personifies a different individual in each song, giving a glimpse into the lives of others through his music.

His advice to aspiring musicians is simple.

“Continue to do what feels right. And play live-it makes you better, faster,” said LeVasseur.

LeVasseur’s music is available on iTunes and he tours consistently around the country.

For more information on his music, check out his website at http://www.jasonlevasseur.com/.