Culture clash at Gold’s Gym

Joseph Lowe | Contributing Writer

Since the UNC Wilmington Recreational Center closed for construction until March, students have had virtually free access to Gold’s Gym with the flash of a One Card. Enthusiastic to begin their New Year’s resolutions, UNCW students have begun to use the gym accordingly. But not all Gold’s Gym attendees share such enthusiasm.

Gold’s is an advanced weight lifting center, popular among famous athletes like Michael Jordan and Arnold Schwarzenegger. Known for its usage by serious bikini, bodybuilding and weightlifting competitors, Gold’s gym is often regarded as a true competitor’s gym. The Wilmington locations are no exception.  For Gold’s regular members, exercise and weightlifting is not just a daily ritual, but a lifestyle. Often visiting the gym twice a day with specific exercise plans, these competitors enter the gym with an agenda. Recently some feel that agenda has been skewed by excess students in the gym. Lauren Bellew, UNCW student and NPC Bikini Competitor/Sponsored Athlete, says Gold’s Gym is overflowing with the recent addition of UNCW students.

“I found out through the email sent out and I was a little upset. Not because of the money but rather the gym was already packed with the New Year’s resolution members trying to get fit. The first day I went when it was opened up to all students, it was insane. My last workout, there were so many people in the gym, the mirrors were fogging up, I had to cut my workout short. I think it’s great everyone wants to get fit but I just wish it wasn’t mainly at one location.”

A Gold’s Gym member for a year and a half, Lauren Bellew, visits the gym two times a day. As a result of the recent increase in gym attendees she has had to change her exercise schedule like several other competitors. Some say there has been a slight decrease in actual Gold’s members. Theodore maintains there has not been a decrease of members visiting the gym, but rather schedule changes similar the Bellew’s case.

“The students more than double our normal number of members at this location,” said Theodore “TJ” Curman Jr., Gold’s Gym general manager of professional fitness at the Racine Drive location.

“A majority of the students come here and the Long Leaf Pine location gets our overflow. There has been a dramatic volume increase in the traffic flow of this gym. The worst times to come are between 4:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m. but there is still more people at any time you come,” Curman said.

There hasn’t been a decrease in the regulars but rather, schedule changes, according to Curman. Several people that came at night now come around 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.

News of Gold’s Gym being accessible to students came without warning. Furthermore the opening of the UNCW Recreational Center has already been postponed with plans of an opener in the fall semester of 2012, bringing a degree of doubt among students about the chances of opening on time this March. As a result, several students joined Gold’s Gym through payment contracts only days prior to the announcement of free use of the gym. Consequently those students wanted to cancel their contracts to no avail, unless having signed up within three days.

Students specific to this case felt cheated, as if Gold’s Gym employees had prior knowledge of UNCW’s intentions. But Curman maintains that is not the case.

“There has been a lot of confusion, as if we all (the Gold’s Gym staff) knew about this before they signed up, when we got the email only a couple hours the same day all the students did,” Curman said. “It’s unfortunate. I understand that, but that is just how the cards fell.”

The gyms are packed and will continue to be until the opening of the UNCW recreational center. While the students may be notably excited with the free use of Gold’s facilities, some can’t wait for March to get here.