SGA works towards Lumina renovations

Emily Evans | Assistant News Editor

The senate’s first order of business this week? Playing musical chairs. SGA is starting out the new semester with more work and development to the renovations due in Lumina Theater that will take place this summer, including the seating. 

At the first SGA meeting of the semester on Tuesday, the student leaders sat in five different sample theater chairs that could potentially be installed in Lumina Theater by the beginning of the next Fall semester.  Each senator voted for their favorite one after giving it a tryout.

“What you’re doing today is seeing how it feels on your tush and how it feels on your back,” said Executive Director of Campus Life, Larry Ray. 

According to Ray, there are only certain types of chairs that will fit on the concrete risers in Lumina, limiting the selection that Campus Life can choose from.

Although the chairs that will be installed on the risers cannot rock back and forth, the floor seating will allow rocking theater chairs.  However, this might cause less seating on the floor than before.  Campus Life and SGA President, Keith Fraser, do not expect to lose any seating capacity on the risers. 

“We really wanted to make sure we purchased comfortable seats without sacrificing the quantity,” Fraser said.

Fraser estimates that Lumina might lose around 20 seats due to renovations.

The seats that currently occupy the theater were originally constructed similar to those in a lecture hall.  Overtime those seats have been sat in like the theater chairs that one would expect to find in a theater room and resulted in damages.

The renovations will replace these seats with better constructed ones for their purposes and the concrete will also be resealed in spots that are stained. 

According to Fraser, in a multi-million dollar infrastructure such as Fisher Student Center and the Fisher University Union, Lumina Theater has been put on the back burner in terms of project renovations.

The Lumina renovations are important to Fraser and SGA because it, along with the purchase of a new graduation stage, will significantly reduce the pool of fund balance that has accumulated over the years.  The fund balance is an amassing of student fees over time that has gotten so big that Fraser had to do something about it.

“I thought it was a shame, that it was criminal to have student fee money just sitting there,” Fraser said. 

SGA has been looking for other avenues to reduce the fund balance and have recently turned to the underfunded Sports Club Council.  

In the senate meeting, SGA treasurer, Patrick Lecompte, reported a committee meeting in which members were going to develop a possible proposal to increase funding for SCC that will benefit club sports at UNCW. 

Multiple bills were also brought before the senate by the Student Affairs committee on Tuesday that included three reprimands towards SGA members.  Reprimands are used by the organization to hold their student leaders accountable for things such as logging office hours, recording community service and attending meetings and functions.  Essentially, a reprimand is a warning that will be followed by possible impeachment if further action is needed.  The senate failed two of the reprimand bills while one was approved.