The Perch loses its perch

Shelby Purvis | Staff Writer

Since 2007, The Perch was a resource desk in the Fisher Student Center specifically for non-traditional students at UNCW. Last semester that desk, adjacent to the bookstore, was emptied abruptly to make room for a new Starbucks.

The Perch is now without a perch, and the information that was kept there for non-trads is up in “the cloud,” operating largely via email list servs and its website.  

Students participating in a recent non-trad focus group said it isn’t enough.

“We need a space,” said an older-adult student. “Or maybe a club. But definitely something to connect us.”

Prior to this change, The Perch was a space where non-trad students, both new and old, could go for information and services. The tiny lounge area was filled with brochures, flyers, literature for non-trads, and even a ride board. It also included a refrigerator and microwave, reserved for commuter students who needed a place for their lunches.

According to Amy Hector, the assistant dean of students, the conversation about removing The Perch began in the spring of last year.

“We started talking about using all space on campus,” Hector said. “And wondering what we need to do to serve the entire campus community.”

The decision was about efficiency and duplicating services, according to Hector.

“A lot of people were using The Perch as an information center and we already have one of those,” Hector said.

According to Hector, While The Perch as a location may be gone, all of the same services still remain. Her office is located in the Office of the Dean of Students where non-trads can come to her with questions or concerns.

“People have the impression that it [the Office of the Dean of Students] is a principal’s office but it really is a place of advocacy for students,” Hector said.

But Ty Martin, the non-traditional student senator of the SGA, fears that the change may deter new non-trads.

“This takes away a place for them to go,” Martin said. “The Dean’s office is a hard area to approach, especially for students who feel out of place already.”

Martin and Hector both share concerns regarding a large gap in communication between the administration and the non-trad student community.

Nathan Hupman, president of the Student Veteran’s Organization, also feels that the loss of The Perch will make passing information more difficult.

“Not having the widespread ability to display information about events has led to an almost total reliance on emails to pass information along and also loses possible face time with students,” Hupman said.

A new website for The Perch, which launches February 1, may help with these gaps in communication. Although they already have a website, the new version should be more user-friendly and include more pictures. Hector plans to update it even more during the summer to include online modules, videos, and even a chat feature.

“I hope this new website helps,” Martin said. “It’s definitely a step in the right direction and could help to set up a network.”

Hector views this as an opportunity for her and the other staff to get more involved with the non-trad students.

“Now we have to go out to the students, which is exciting,” Hector said.

They have already held several focus groups but hope to have more in February for students who wish to meet with the folks who run The Perch and voice their concerns.