The newest faces of UNCW

Lizzy Menzer | Contributing Writer

Student ambassador recruitment recently finished up with final decisions on new members determined on Jan. 27th. This year, 101 applicants applied, a large amount considering the organization has a 60-member capacity.

Applicants went through a series of interviews conducted by current student ambassadors and were expected to attend socials to showcase their ability to interact with others.

Current ambassadors, like sophomore Esme Fussell, know how much student ambassadors can change lives. Fussell was an applicant last year and is hopeful the new members will be able to take on the things she has learned since joining the group.

“We give people a lot of leadership opportunity. Everyone gets their own leadership position within the organization. People are given and delegated roles so you are given the chance to step up,” Fussell said.

It is important for student ambassadors to be passionate about UNCW because they are responsible for giving tours of the university throughout the year. The tours can be the determining factor in whether or not people decide to apply to the university.

Freshman Sarah Hood was able to recall exactly how her student ambassador presented the school.

“He was so passionate and enthusiastic in the way he described UNCW. He made me want to go here and be a part of this campus. He was really easy to relate to and talk with,” Hood said.

Student ambassadors are known for giving tours to future students, but the role of giving back to past students is a huge part of being an ambassador as well.

Kimberly Gargiulo is the assistant director of alumni relations for student ambassadors. She has been an advisor to the organization for the last four years and has the opportunity to watch members grow and mature.

“For anyone who is really passionate about UNCW, it’s a great program to get involved with. It helps students come out of their shell,” Gargiulo said.

Gargiulo’s position calls for her to work directly with past and present ambassadors on alumni events.

“They represent the student body at alumni events. We always hear from alumni about how much they love talking to current students. I get to know them through the years and then when they graduate, I get to see them as alumni too. A lot of them serve as volunteers for alumni events later on. They get to network with alumni a lot at these kinds of events and there are job opportunities that arise from that,” Gargiulo said.

There’s something unique about the student ambassador approach to finding great members-potential.

“There is always going to be that person who is the loudest in the room who everyone loves, but then there are going to be people who are kind of quieter that have their hidden talents, and they want to grow those hidden talents. We look for that potential and then, through student ambassadors, we like to foster the leadership and outgoing personality,” Fussell said.

Student ambassadors are picking new members that are eager to promote UNCW. The unique selection process and high standards will help them find what they’re looking for: diamonds in the rough.