UNC schools add sex ed to required classes

Caroline Logan | Contributing Writer

UNC schools have begun incorporating sexual health outreach in required classes to make sure all students are exposed to the essentials. 

UNC Wilmington combined sexual health and outreach with First-Year Seminar classes last fall. Formerly optional, FYS is now required as a three-credit course. 

The purpose of FYS is to help students integrate with UNCW and the college experience, in a fun way. UNCW’s condom bingo, played in FYS, is an activity that health center staff and peer educators use to make sexual outreach programs less awkward.

East Carolina University has a similar class, Health1000, a requirement for all students prior to graduation. Health1000 incorporates sexual health education too.

However, First-Year Seminar is not required at all schools in the UNC system. UNC Charlotte’s freshman seminar only reaches approximately 50 percent of students, according to their student health director, Leslie Robinson. UNCC is working to eventually make this class a requirement.

But UNC schools are finding other ways to emphasize sexual health outside of class too.

UNCC has an entire week of programs and will be giving out free testing for Sexually Transmitted Infections on Feb.13 at their annual safe sex fair. Similarly, UNCW has an upcoming sexual responsibility program during the week of Valentine’s Day.

UNC schools also have outreach programs throughout the year in which wellness staff and peer educators visit residence halls, Greek chapters, and host guest speakers.

Regardless of the channel, sexual health programs held on campus are known for boosting sexual health awareness.

“We see an increase in the number of students coming in to get tested following sexual health programs, guest speakers, and events,” said Katrin Wesner, UNCW’s student health director.

The programs may help combat a largely negative perception of STI testing among college students.

“A lot of people think we should be alarmed if we are seeing an increase in student STI testing, but it is actually exciting,” Wesner said.

According to Wesner, while the outreach programs are essential, every visit to the health center is focused on prevention.

Health center staff provides one-on-one education for students coming in to get tested. While the staff does not interrogate students, they attempt to educate the individual getting tested on how they can lower their risk.