Flannery rocks this year’s Dub Idol

Caroline Logan | Interning writer

With a powerful rendition of Florence and the Machine’s “The Dog Days Are Over,” Colleen Flannery beat out the competition to win this year’s Dub Idol.

Students stood in line for hours to get tickets to watch their fellow Seahawks showcase their talent and innovation on center-stage.

“I was really surprised, said Flannery. “We were a big group and became like a family and so I barely thought of it as a competition. I made a lot of great new friends and I don’t think winning was the first thing on anyone’s mind.”

Flannery is a part of the co-ed a cappella group, Seahawkappella. Despite her explosive voice, Flannery confesses she has never received any formal training.

Flannery got her singing inspiration from her father who sang a lot himself in school. She began singing in middle school, participating in choir and musicals throughout her life.  

Apart from the influence of her father, Flannery likes to emulate female vocalists that can really project, like Beyoncé and Adele. She also likes to explore a wide range of vocals.

“I like to sing songs that have a wide range. I have a lower voice and I like power; I like belting out songs,” said Flannery.

While her voice is certainly impressive, Flannery also excels in her schoolwork. As an accounting and finance major, she takes her studies seriously.

“It might seem nerdy, but I really do like school. I put a lot of times into my classes,” said Flannery.

Flannery does not plan on competing next year, as she believes it is best to give others a chance. Her overall feelings on Dub Idol were positive.

“I really like Dub Idol because it gives people who aren’t music majors a chance to show off their talent,” said Flannery.

Just like the real American Idol, Dub Idol, consisted of a panel of judges: Brian Victor, the associate vice chancellor of student affairs; Brad Reid, the director of housing and residence life; and Marina DeRatmiroff, a UNCW faculty member.

Abbey Starling and Bruno Rose hosted the event and entertained the crowd with their innovative role-play of characters from the new James Bond movie “Skyfall.”

Along with the contestant’s songs, there were performances by the three a capella groups on campus, The Seabells, Seahawkapellas and The High Seas. Beth Stovall, last year’s Dub Idol winner, performed at the end of the show, singing “Blackbird.”

This year’s event was sponsored by the Residence Housing Association, the Association for Campus Entertainment, Parent’s Grant, UNCWeekends and Housing and Residence Life.

Justine Benjamin came in second with her performance of “Ave Maria.” The judges noted Benjamin’s clarity and the control in her voice. Benjamin describes her style as jazzy and she enjoys singing classical music.

Freshman Maggie Newton took third place, singing Bon Iver’s “Skinny Love.” Newton was surprised and excited to place among such a talented group of individuals.

Newton hopes to pursue a singing career in the future.

“I’m undecided as a major right now but I definitely want to pursue a career in music and last night really confirmed that, said Newton. “I like being on stage.”

After four preliminary auditions, ten studentst-one from each residence hall, one off-campus, and one wild card contestant-are chosen to compete in the sing-off.

The other contestants were Christian Davis, Nick Cannon, Courtney Poland, Susan Richie, Kendall Beager, Heath Berry and Ashley Einwacher.

Dub Idol started seven years ago by a group of Housing and Residence Life assistants. It has since become a Homecoming week tradition, drawing up to 1,000 students every year.