Renowned political writer comes to UNCW to discuss veterans

Shannon McCabe| Staff Writer

Distinguished Time columnist and best-selling author, Joe Klein, will hold a discussion on veterans of the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, and how they make up the nation’s next greatest generation.  

Klein has worked closely with veterans over the years, living overseas and witnessing first-hand accounts of what military men and women go through every day. He watched as they governed towns and provided public works under fire. And according to Klein, if they can do that overseas, they should be given the same opportunity at home.

“The most challenging issue that they face is that there’s this weird attitude on a part of the public which is both grateful for their service, but kind of standoffish. It’s kind of ‘thank you for your service, but I’m a little afraid that you’re going to shoot up my office,'” said Klein, laughing.

According to Klein, we all need to understand that these veterans are assets-not a liability.

Three veterans: John Gallina, April Cook and Tom Rabel will be at the discussion with Klein to put a face to his topic. Gallina is co-founder of the Purple Hearts Home, an organization that helps build new homes for handicapped veterans. Cook helped establish the Missions Continue program, which provides wounded veterans with six-month public service fellowships all over the country. Rabel is involved with Team Rubicon, an organization that focuses on disaster relief around the country.

“So, the folks that show up on Monday, they’re going to get not just my blabber, but they’re going to get to see the real deal. They’re going to get to see the people that are really doing this on the ground,” Klein said.

He really hopes to show the public the different skill set veterans obtain from being overseas, and how those skills are going to allow them to become the next great generation of American leaders. While attending various universities Klein urges students to become more active citizens.

“Join the military, or find some other way to serve your country. Everybody should serve at least for a couple of years of their life,” Klein said.

Klein believes that if the students choose to become active, universities should do their part in aiding veterans by allowing more ways for students to pay off their loans. He encourages women that want to be part of these kinetic operations, to do so too.

Klein sees that there are many tough women out there that are being recognized for their efforts, such as Tammy Duckworth, now a member of Congress. Duckworth lost both of her legs when her helicopter was hit by an IED (improvised explosive devices), but still managed to land while bleeding out. Dawn Halfaker, president of the Wounded Warrior project, who served as an army helicopter pilot and lost her arm, is another role model for young women.

“I think that they are being recognized, but I think that they should be allowed the same opportunities that men are,” Klein said.

Aside from being embedded with the military overseas and reporting on the issues that surround veterans, Klein also voiced his opinion on the recent election and the opinion he holds on the President.

So far he feels the First Lady has been very involved with concerning issues, but there is still much more that she and President Obama can do.

“What I’d like to see him do is to be very clear that the message to our veterans is not just thank you for your services, but [also] we still need you,” Klein said.

Klein continues to spend half his time working on his column “In the Arena” for the Time magazine, discussing foreign policy and ways to improve the health care system, while also in the process of writing his book about the next “great generation.”

“These returning veterans are a solution. They’re not a problem. They are a solution to our leadership deficit in this country,” Klein said.

For UNCW students interested in attending his discussion and learning more about Klein’s experience working with leadership veterans, tickets are free and can be picked up at Sharky’s Box Office. It will be held in the Burney Center Feb.18 at 7 p.m.