Fashion is serious business

Tabitha Shiflett | Staff Writer

UNC Wilmington students got creative with their business attire for the University of North Carolina Wilmington’s 31st annual Cameron Business School Business Week. 

From Monday, March 18 through Friday, March 22, students walked around in more than just a suit and tie. Some students accessorized their outfits with cute, black wide-rimmed glasses while others added spring inspired scarves, beaded necklaces and wide-faced watches, all the while keeping the outfit conservative, chic and appropriate.  

“As a graphic designer and marketing student, I’ve noticed my business casual style straying far away from the cliché black or navy suit,” said junior Whitney Vass. 

Vass wore a trendy knee length blue and yellow skirt, a neutral top with a beaded black Bib Necklace and a pair of black, square-shaped glasses. 

“I find it much more fitting to wear unique, but still appropriate, business attire that lets me express the fact that I’m a creative-focused business student,” said Vass. 

Senior Brittany Chester added a pair of black-rimmed glasses embellished with gold toned flowers to her standard black pant and blazer combo. Senior Iris Cooper Rowland matched a light grey silk blouse, a black lace pencil skirt and a blazer with a small black briefcase and black umbrella. Although small, these additions make a difference with every outfit. 

Little things allow personality to shine through in an outfit, but according to Sarah Crockett, career development counselor of the Career Center, business attire should never be overly trendy or too colorful. 

“While an interview is a time to stand out from the crowd, it shouldn’t be for an overly trendy outfit,” said Crockett. “If you want to add a pop of tasteful personality to your outfit that’s fine, but in most interview situations it’s best to dress in business professional attire which is conservative and consists of neutral colored suits and accessories.” 

So when dressing for business always remember that while it is a good idea to show a little uniqueness in your outfit, the main thing to pay attention to is what you say and how you say it, because no one wants to be remembered for a tacky outfit. 

These inexpensive yet stylish looks can be found at stores such as Charlotte Russe and Forever 21 located at the Independence Mall on Oleander Dr., or at Target on New Centre Dr.