WiSE awarded Student Organization of the Year

Rachel Huber | Contributing Writer

When Lindsey Baker held the first interest meeting for Women in Science and Engineering in May 2012, two years after the organization had become defunct, only one student showed up.

But this April, less than a year later, WiSE was awarded the Student Organization of the Year in the gold category for exemplifying commitment to the betterment and strengthening of their community.

Baker, who had heard about WiSE through her sister who attended UNC Wilmington, searched for the group at the 2011 Fall Involvement Carnival, but was disappointed to see the group was not present. After speaking with the Campus Activities & Involvement Center and finding that the group had “fallen through the cracks,” she decided that this was a group that needed to be started up again.

Baker felt it was important for WiSE to have a presence on campus because of the awareness it brings to the inequality between men and women in the fields of science, technology, engineering and math.

One of the things they’d like to change is the public’s perception of what it means to be a scientist, said TR Nunley, the facilitator of WiSE.

“When you think about a scientist you think white guy, white hair, crazy goggles and a lab coat. We want to change that image,” Nunley said.

One of the ways they try to change this is by judging science fairs, where they hope that their image will inspire young female students to pursue STEM careers.

“There is an age period in middle school where girls realize that boys are more supported. It could be just one comment from a teacher, and it changes their confidence level,” Baker said.

But at UNCW, Baker believed WiSE was especially important because of the supporting environment it creates for female students.

“On this campus there is a lot of competition between science fields,” Baker said. “When you come to WiSE, everyone can relate.”

It’s also a place that female students can be proud of their achievements.

“You don’t have to be ashamed of getting the highest grade on a test,” Baker said.

In addition to emotional support, WiSE often helps its members with problems they may be having in school with assignments, securing the classes they need, and sometimes even fieldwork.

“One of our initial, most successful field trips was when one of our members had some soil sampling to do in Brunswick County,” Baker said.

Baker was planning on helping the member by herself, but they decided to carpool about 15 WiSE members for a field trip.

From the success of that trip, WiSE learned one of the lessons that have helped it succeed over the past year- listen to what your members want. At a time when many UNCW organizations are struggling to attract members and achieve recognition from CAIC, Baker says one of the reasons WiSE is succeeding is because they keep members involved in their decisions.

At a typical WiSE meeting, the leadership of the organization sits intermingled with the rest of the members, ensuring that everyone’s ideas are given consideration. While this makes Nunley’s job as facilitator more difficult because of all the conversation, both Nunley and Baker are happy that WiSE members are able to feel close.

“We’re a group of people that understand the importance of our diversity, intelligence, and our thirst to learn and do more,” Baker said at the final WiSE meeting this year.

Baker graduated this year. Liz Scire will be the president for the 2013-2014 school year.

There are changes that lie ahead for WiSE, but many things will stay the same.

They are planning to adopt another nest of sea turtles with the Pleasure Island Sea Turtle Project. They will continue to attend science fairs to ensure that young girls see that there is a place for women in STEM careers. And they will continue to be a place where women with a love of science and engineering, regardless of background, can find support and encouragement.