Youth movement key to Seahawks season

Courtney Blackledge | Contributing Writer

The humidity hung heavy Aug. 28 as the UNC Wilmington’s women soccer team began another practice in preparation for the upcoming season.

Although the team lost an important player in graduated forward Stephanie Rose, who led the team in scoring and was named to an All-CAA team in each of her four years on the squad, there is reason for optimism with this younger group.

After going 3-16 with a 1-10 conference mark in 2011, the team rebounded nicely last year, advancing to the conference championship before falling to Hofstra 2-1 in double overtime. This year, the team hopes to take the next step and bring home the trophy.

“We graduated some very important seniors but no two teams are the same,” said Coach Paul Cairney. “Right now we have a very talented group; the key for them is to get game experience.”

The 2013 team has 11 new freshman players, so gaining experience is key in the early part of the season.

“Due to the loss of seven seniors, six of which were starters, many of the incoming freshmen have a chance to step up right away and make an impact directly on the field,” senior Natalie Winslow said. “This year’s team is always focused and ready from the second they step out of the locker room but they also are young and playful which makes practice enjoyable.”

A key position that the Seahawks will need to settle early is their goalkeeper. Freshman Carolyn Huddy received the start in goal for the team’s opening exhibition against Campbell August 12 while fellow freshman Liisa Rahkola started in their following exhibition on August 17 against Elon.

As the team enters into a new season with new challenges, the youth of the squad will be one of the main factors that determine whether the Seahawks succeed or fall short of their goals this season.