UNCW professor brings script to life

Tabitha Shiflett | Staff Writer

Several notable films and sitcoms have been shot in or around the Port City. Hollywood East is the home of “One Tree Hill,” “Dawson’s Creek” and most recently, “Iron Man 3.” The waves, the sand and the history make the Wilmington area an ideal film location. UNC Wilmington Film Studies Department professor Terry Linehan paid attention to these advantages and scripted a romantic comedy titled “Don’t Know Yet” (DKY).

DKY invites audience members to resonate with the main character, Taylor (James Kyson), who feels lost from the beginning of the film. Taylor goes on a road trip to clear his mind and find a new direction in life. On the way he picks up a few hitchhikers, and the real story begins. 

“I can’t tell you how many times the phrase ‘don’t know yet’ comes up in conversation,” Linehan said. “We’re all on that road— we don’t know where it will lead us.”

Linehan’s film, inspired by a lazy night at the house watching TV, was anything but directionless.

“The basic idea for DKY came from channel surfing, when I stopped on a film called ‘The Addiction’ starring Lily Taylor,” Linehan said. “I watched it for about 10 minutes, until Lily Taylor said, ‘…And then he picks up hitchhikers and takes them where they want to go.’ I stopped in my tracks and said, ‘That’s a great concept for a movie.’” 

In January 2012, the year Linehan became a full-time faculty member, the 87-page script was completed and casting was underway.

“I knew we’d have a plethora of local actors to choose from for all supporting roles,” Linehan said. “We also considered locals for the lead, but in the end, we felt that name actors in the lead roles would help us get some attention with distributors.”

Linehan held casting auditions on campus in March to find local talent for the film. A national casting call was also posted online.

The casting director received over 2,500 headshots and resumes from actors for nine roles. Talk about a lot of work for film studies major and DKY casting director, Cadence Railsback.

Linehan did not find an actor from the national search, but he did receive direct contact from renowned actor James Kyson of the NBC television series “Heroes.”

“James called me and we set up a meeting in Washington, D.C.,” Linehan said. “We had breakfast and decided to work together over a cup of coffee.”

Other lead roles in DKY include the main character’s love interest, Autum, played by Lisa Goldstein Kirsch of “One Tree Hill,” David Andrews, who recently appeared in “World War Z,” and actress Jane McNeil from the hit series “The Walking Dead.”

It took two weeks in Wilmington and four days in and around the Ashville area to give DKY the perfect road trip feel. From the mountains to the sea, the film was finished in 17 days.

“DKY is the first feature film produced at UNCW with 100 percent UNCW crew,” Linehan said. “At our last pre-production meeting, about one week before principle photography, I told our student crew, ‘This is your film now. I’m turning it over to you.’ They never let me down.”

The 17-day shoot consisted of 12-hour workdays and constant film checking and editing.

“In making DKY, you see a film maker express passion that is missing from a lot of larger films,” said UNCW alumni and DKY key set production assistant Dave Ross.

In the future, Linehan hopes to continue teaching at UNCW while making films on the side.

Check out the DKY official movie trailer and cross your fingers for its premier at the NYC Independent Film Festival in mid-October in Times Square. See DKY locally at the Cucalorus Film Festival in November.