Study abroad students seek on-campus housing help

Savannah Zeches | Layout Editor

When students wish to study abroad for a semester, there is a lot to consider and plan ahead for. Something that students need to keep in mind when planning to go abroad is to figure out what to do when leaving or returning to on-campus housing

For any student does not currently have an active housing contract, the first step is to pay the non-refundable housing contract fee of $105. From there, they are either pulled in to a room by a friend already living in a particular apartment with an empty space, or assigned a specific room by the coordinator. It all depends on different situations.

“While studying abroad, thinking about housing for the spring has been the last thing on my mind, even though I should be thinking about it,” said Clare Greene, a junior who is studying in Seville, Spain for the fall 2013 semester.

In a Skype interview, Greene recalled that the housing process for those students returning to the university mid-year was not highlighted as much during orientation or info sessions for her study abroad program.

“I guess that’s not really their area,” said Greene about the Office of International Programs, which is in charge of organizing study abroad experiences for UNCW.

“I haven’t filled out any forms or anything and I actually have no clue how to go about the process,” admitted Greene. “I am hoping to get an email with some information that will apply to my situation.”

“We actually do send out frequent emails,” said Lesia Heltzel, the lease-based assignment coordinator in the Housing and Residence Life office. Since study abroad students are usually upperclassman, a number of them live in the lease-based, apartment style housing areas before or after they go abroad. In the communications to students going out on Study Abroad, Housing  informs them to contact the office in November if they want on-campus housing when they return in the spring.

“Some people will let me know their tentative plans, and I will tell them that once they are nearing the time they will be coming back to UNCW, to email me around a certain time,” said Heltzel. “I start a list of people that I am communicating with to be placed in a space.”

Heltzel keeps a spreadsheet document to organize all of the names and locations of students who will be returning on certain dates from abroad programs and wish to return to on-campus housing.

“I do look at the fact that they are returning to campus and I try to give them first consideration when I’m assigning,” said Heltzel. “I also record when they first contacted me so I can try to be fair with preferences.”

As the end of the semester nears, the housing office works to review all placements that have been planned and then take the next steps to find what open spots are left for those returning.

“Some people are more on top of things and they figure it out before they leave,” said Heltzel.

Kelly Lazarczyk, who is currently studying at James Cook University in Australia, heard that the process of finding housing after being abroad could be difficult, so took care of her planning early.

“Since I was going to be on the other side of the world, I made sure to fill out all of the paperwork before I left the country,” said Lazarcyk.

Another student, Mallory Parke, is signed up to study in Spain in spring 2014. In order to plan for leaving her room on campus for the semester, Parke went through the process of subleasing her space to another student.

“I had to sign a few forms with another girl, but it was not a huge ordeal. She is studying abroad right now so it works out perfectly,” said Parke.

“Housing and Residence Life was very flexible and easy to work with,” said Parke. “I am now able to hand over my lease next semester without a fee.”

If students are unable to find someone to sublease their room, there is the option of breaking their contracts. In a recent email from  Katherine Jensen,  housing Transitions Coordinator, students expressing interest in going abroad were told about the procedure of completing a form to release them from their housing contracts when they leave.

In order to be considered for a contract release a student must submit their acceptance letter or other official document confirming their participation in a education abroad or exchange program. This must be submitted with your contract release form in order for your request to be reviewed and accepted. 

Whether leaving a room or returning to campus, the housing office staff is focused on helping any student who has lived or is planning to live in on-campus areas at UNCW.

“We contract and we house,” said Heltzel. “Each year has its unique qualities to it, which determines how we go about assigning and who we assign where, but each year we attempt to do it as efficiently and as fairly as we possibly can to get everyone into a space that they can be happy with.”