Bonner’s career off to a fast start for men’s soccer

Lindsey Hogan | Staff Writer

Colin Bonner has rapidly emerged as a force for the UNC Wilmington men’s soccer team in his two years on the squad.

After leading the team in scoring with 14 points off six goals and two assists as a freshman, Bonner once again currently leads the team in goals, with six on the season, including a hat trick in the team’s regular-season finale against Northeastern last week.

The 4-2 decision over the Huskies locked up the No. 2 seed for the Seahawks in the CAA tournament, where they will play William & Mary on Thursday.

Bonner, a sophomore, is originally from Fulton, MD, and was encouraged by athletic parents to start playing soccer when he was 4 years old. At Reservoir High School, Bonner was a two-time Washington Post First-Team All-Met, was selected for Baltimore Sun First-Team All-Met his junior and senior year, and was twice named All-State First-Team.   

When it came to finding the right school to continue his playing career, Bonner said it was the feeling of brotherhood on the soccer team that drew him to UNCW.

“It’s just a family and great friends,” Bonner said. “It keeps you busy, keeps you out of trouble, for the most part. Keeps you active, competitive, and makes you want to keep pushing harder and harder every day.”

Bonner’s freshman year brought many accolades with it, as he was named to the CAA All-Rookie squad after becoming the Seahawks’ main weapon on offense.

While he may not have scored many goals at the beginning of this season, head coach Aidan Heaney said, as a forward, Bonner was still a threat.

“He’s a pawn as far as being able to hold the ball off for us and bring other people into the attack,” Heaney said. “But he’s been dangerous and he’s been someone that the opponent very much has to keep an eye on.”

Bonner said, for him, the team’s 2-1 victory over Ohio State in this year’s season opener was the highlight.

“I had the first goal, and then they tied it up and it was one to one,” Bonner said. “Then in double overtime I had the game winner.”  

Heaney said Bonner is completely committed and works impressively hard during games. Bonner’s early success has forced defenders to account for him specifically, opening up the field for his teammates.

“He’s not only a big six-foot-five guy, but he moves well, he works extremely hard,” Heaney said. “He’s someone you wouldn’t like to play against if you’re an opponent.”

Bonner said balancing soccer with school is tough because it takes up so much time, but that advisers and study hall keep him on track. For now, Bonner is studying business management and playing one game at a time, but if he finds the right spot, he said would ideally like to turn soccer into a career.

“If I land in the right location and everything goes well in college, I think it’s definitely something I look forward to in the future,” Bonner said. “I would love to go to MLS. I’d like to play professional here if I can. That’d be great.”

Bonner’s teammate junior Jacob VancCompernolle echoed Heaney’s sentiments of the forward.  

“He’s a very passionate individual and a hard working player,” VanCompernolle said. “I think he brings a lot of fire to our team. Day in and day out you know you’re going to get 100% out of him. He’s a big force. He intimidates a lot of teams. He’s a good teammate to have.”