UNCW students work with paws4people to train service dogs

Evan Amezcua | Assistant News Editor

**Note: paws4people is all lowercase 

In the Einstein’s lounge at UNC Wilmington, Kyria Henry sits with her service-dog-in-training, Wyatt. He’s formally known as a “Service Dog Ambassador,” but more fondly as “Kyria’s better half.”

As the founder of paws4people, Henry has worked with UNCW since 2011 to form a pilot program that trains assistance dogs. To facilitate the program’s full integration, Henry escorts Wyatt through the campus. This is so he and any passing students can adjust to the merging. Henry also serves as the director and professor for UNCW’s Assistance Dog Training Program. 

UNCW currently offers four courses, under the recreation therapy department, to help train assistance dogs. RTH 386 and 387 are the first two classes in the program and are open enrollment to any major or level. The latter two classes are designed so that each student works with an assistance dog and local rescue group.

“I’ve always been a dog person,” said Danielle McPhail, executive assistant of paws4people and UNCW alumna. “When I heard about a course where you help dogs and people, that sucked me right in.”

McPhail has been with the program since its inception. She is the first full-time employee at paws4people, and is now training her third assistance dog.

While the classes remain open to most students, recreation therapy, psychology and biology students predominately show the most interest in the program. Henry explains that professionals in these fields tend to incorporate dogs into their therapeutic practice.

“A lot of UNCW students’ interest is to be a handler of a dog, and that will give them an edge in their career—since it sets them aside in their resume,” Henry said.

Training for a future assistance dogs begins as a puppy. The paws4people breeding program is housed in Wilmington, NC. For volunteer work, students can work with the puppies for social training. The actual intensive formal training begins at one year of age in area prisons with inmates.

“It’s a completely dedicated workforce,” Henry said. She explained that inmates undergo the same academic training as students, and it’s also their full-time job. They teach the dogs all the commands and return them to third semester students. So students well into the program are already working with well-trained dogs.

The program’s disability focus is primarily for those who suffer from mobility issues. They also work with veterans afflicted with PTSD or traumatic brain injuries. Likewise, the program exclusively breeds golden and Labrador retrievers, since this breed’s drive and work ethic make them perfect for assistance, Henry said.

While assistance dogs and their trainers may appreciate student attention, the program’s focus is not to showcase the dogs around campus. The training is serious and intensive, and it all works toward making a significant difference in someone’s life.

The program’s progress has been slow but sure, Henry said. They’re working toward everyone feeling positive and comfortable about the transition. For this year and the next, the program remains under pilot status. After that they aim to pass final review and become a full UNCW program.