UNCW women lose to JMU

John Levering | Staff Writer

After winning two straight one-point games, the UNC Wilmington women’s basketball team lost to league-leading James Madison University 77-41on Sunday at Trask Coliseum.

Sophomore guard Kelva Atkins was the Seahawks’ only scorer in double figures, registering 15 points and adding six rebounds. Ultimately, the JMU Dukes’ balanced offensive attack proved to be too much for the Seahawks to overcome.

Five Dukes had double-digit scoring numbers, including four of their starters.

“When you’re good at all five positions and play hard defensively—you don’t allow teams to get into anything easily,” said UNCW coach Adell Harris. 

Redshirt sophomore guard Jazmon Gwathmey tied her career high with 17 points and was active on the glass, grabbing six rebounds. Senior guard Kirby Burkholder added 13 points and eight rebounds, despite playing most of the second half with four fouls.

Burkholder, who entered the game averaging a league-best 18.1 points per game, was picked as the preseason CAA Player of the Year. So far this season she has been named CAA Player of the Week four times.

On offense, the Dukes shot 48.4% from the field and were able to pass the ball around effectively, finding open shots from all over the court. The Dukes took advantage of their size, scoring 44 points in the paint, double what the Seahawks had. UNCW shot just 28.8% from the field, due in large part to the Dukes’ defense.

“I think our kids learned a lot about what the best in the league is and what it looks like,” said Harris. “I think it’s important and a valuable learning lesson for them.”

Harris knows that James Madison will be tough for years to come.

“I don’t look at each individual player — obviously they have talented kids. I look at the program from a coaching standpoint and how consistent they have been and will be,” said Harris.

Harris hopes that her Seahawks can look at James Madison and learn from their success moving forward.

“When you talk about building programs, [James Madison] is one we look at.”

The Seahawks are young—starting four freshmen and one sophomore—and are trying to build toward Harris’ goal of winning the CAA and making the postseason. With the addition of four transfer players next season and the valuable experience the young players are receiving, the Seahawks are heading in the right direction.

James Madison looks to remain unbeaten in conference play when they return home to take on the College of Charleston on Friday January 31st.

UNCW will head north for a pair of road games, January 31st at Hofstra and February 2nd at Northeastern. The next home game is February 7th at 7:00 PM when the Seahawks host Delaware.