Reel Teal Film Festival joins Homecoming roster

Asia Brown | Contributing Writer

Wilmington’s 8th annual Reel Teal Film Festival will grace the Wilmington film community during Homecoming week. The festival will commence on Feb. 21 at 7 p.m. in Lumina Theater.

“It is an independent film festival that takes videos from around the world and showcases them in a fun, awards-show atmosphere,” said Elizabeth Bernardo, president of STAGE, UNC Wilmington’s theater club. “In addition, students can join in on a Q&A with the filmmakers at the event, allowing them the opportunity to ask questions about filmmaking—especially independent filmmaking.” 

For Caleb Stewart, co-chair of the Reel Teal Film Festival, attending the festival will also build networks among independent filmmakers. 

“Festivals are the circuit at which independent filmmakers find their start, gain distribution and forge valuable contacts with others,” Stewart said. 

Stewart notes that, in conjunction with network building, the festival is also an opportunity for upcoming filmmakers to critique their peers’ work. 

“A festival of short films is a great chance for those pursuing careers in film to see the quality of their peers’ work and have a goal to strive towards,” he said.

The Reel Teal Film Festival showcases student work for those planning on pursuing careers in film by inviting them to submit films of 15 minutes or less. 

As an open public event that is solely student-based, the Reel Teal Film Festival will be presented by members of the Flicker Film Society.

The Flicker Film Society, formed in 2004, is led by a group of devoted students who produce original films from beginning to end. 

UNCW’s Student Media Page says of the organization: “Students interested in every aspect of filmmaking—acting, filmmaking, script writing, acting, cinematography, tech support, marketing and more—have a great outlet in Flicker for hands-on experience, and access to industry professionals.”

While the Flicker Film Society is not affiliated with the Reel Teal Film Festival, it serves as a proud sponsor each year. 

“This festival is unique as we eschew the more serious tone that other festivals take for a more fun awards show type atmosphere,” said Beau Mumford, co-chair of the Flicker Film Society. 

Dave Monahan, chair of the Film Studies Department, praises the film festival for its community spirit.

“It’s a real celebration. The people that are submitting films are attending—it’s very fun. A lot of times, they will do skits and tell jokes, and everybody is very enthusiastic about the film and it’s very well-attended—so Lumina will be packed,” Monahan said. 

With Screen Gems production, the biggest film production facility on the easternmost region of the United States, located right here in Wilmington, Monahan jokes about the Port City’s other nickname: Filmington. 

“For a small town, [Wilmington] has got a large film community and theater community. There’s a lot of people into the dramatic and visual arts,” he said.

Mumford encourages UNCW students to attend the festival because of its Hollywood-styled ambiance. 

“Get there early to have your picture taken on Reel Teal’s signature Teal carpet. Submissions have come from all over the world, and we will be presenting several awards after the screening,” Mumford said.

One of those awards includes the Audience Choice Award, for which Mumford affirms, “The audience will, of course, get to vote on.” 

In addition, Stewart wants students to recognize all of the hard work that has gone into this festival. 

“Blood, sweat, and tears truly have gone into this, and yet it remains a little-known highlight of UNCW’s traditional events,” said festival co-chair Caleb Stewart. “This year marks our first year as part of Homecoming, and so it promises to be bigger and better than ever.”