21st iWeek brings the world to the Dub

Sarah Hicks | Contributing Writer

From Feb. 17-22, UNC Wilmington held the 21st annual Intercultural Week, a highly-anticipated event students and staff simply referred to as iWeek. The Office of International Programs coordinates with many different departments and on-campus organizations to sponsor a variety of multicultural films, performances, panel discussions and lectures throughout the week. 

“The idea is to raise international awareness, excitement and enthusiasm around campus and give students a chance to appreciate and learn about the international community,” said Olivia Cunningham, outreach coordinator for the Office of International Programs.

This year’s iWeek provided many enriching opportunities for students, including a Russian folk concert performed by the renowned trio “Moscow Nights”; an on-going croquet tournament on the lawns of  Hoggard and McNeill halls; and UNCWiinter Olympics, in which students competed in virtual curling, snowboarding and figure skating on the Wii in Sharky’s Game Room.

When many students think of iWeek, there’s often one thing that comes to mind: the food. Each night of the week, Wagoner Hall features a different cultural cuisine for dinner. This year’s menu included traditional fare from Japan, Latin America, Italy, Thailand and the United Kingdom.

While international cuisine is a long-standing iWeek tradition, this year’s program included a few new opportunities for students to actively learn about and engage in current world affairs. One such event was a panel discussion called “Eyewitness Reflections on the Legacy of Nelson Mandela.”

Jennifer Fernandez-Villa, director of the International Student and Scholar Services in the Office of International Programs, described the panel discussion as a great event given the timeliness of Mandela’s passing. Five members of the UNCW community shared the ways Nelson Mandela’s legacy has impacted their lives, followed by a Q&A session and accompanied by an array of South African desserts. 

iWeek focuses not only on providing programs and opportunities for traditional UNCW students, but also seeks to help international students on campus become connected and engaged within UNCW and the Wilmington community. International students had the opportunity to meet with UNCW administrators—including Chancellor Miller over dinner on Monday night—and on Saturday, international and returning UNCW students came together for the culmination of iWeek’s festivities: the 21st annual Intercultural Festival (iFest). 

From 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Saturday, the Burney Center was lined with tables and booths. Each represented a different country’s culture; traditional clothing and art displays, various activities and more food. International students, study abroad ambassadors and members of many UNCW clubs and organizations volunteered at the event, while music and dance groups such as the Sea Pans steel drum band and the UNCW hip-hop dance team Physical Graffeeti performed throughout the day.

Sponsored by the Campus Activities and Involvement Center and the Office of International Programs, the annual festival reaches beyond the student to body to expose the Wilmington community to the many countries and cultures represented on campus. 

“iFest is about community outreach; it’s a family-friendly event,” Cunningham said.

At the beginning of the day, children were given a passport which could be stamped at each table or “country” they visited. In this way, iFest brought everyone together, from Wilmington and abroad, to highlight and celebrate the diversity represented in the UNCW community.

“People are always so excited to meet our international students and are amazed to find out that we have students from more than fifty countries on campus, in addition to so many organizations locally that support intercultural programming and activities,” Fernandez-Villa said.

With iWeek taking place during the same week as Homecoming for the second consecutive year, a heightened sense of excitement and school spirit was felt across the campus community. 

“Last year, it was an accident that they coincided—for the first time in twenty years” Fernandez-Villa said. “Then, we actually got such great feedback that we decided to always make it coincide. It’s nice that we can offer folks who come to Homecoming a cultural option to the festivities.”

With the huge success of iWeek’s 21st year, drawing in hundreds of UNCW volunteers and visitors from the community, both students and staff agree that it is an enjoyable and educational experience for everyone involved. 

“iWeek is an invaluable campus program because it leads to better diversity and understanding. It allows students to experience cultures outside of their own,” said sophomore Michelle Dy.

While promoting study abroad and other international opportunities, iWeek serves to provide a glimpse of the world beyond Wilmington for those who may not be able to experience it otherwise. 

“Many people who live in the same ten mile radius—they shop in the same stores; they eat at the same restaurants; they go to work; they go home. We live in a small little world of our own,” Cunningham said. “This is an opportunity to see that there is more out there. There are other cultures to experience, and you can taste them right here.”