9 tips for freshman from a still-learning senior

Lori Wilson | Lifestyle Editor

Sometimes you’ll feel stupid. Sometimes you’ll get lost. But it will never be what you expected (in the best possible way).

1.       Everything in moderation, even studying. Your GPA may influence your future graduate school or job applications, but you’ll need to list more on your resume than a 4.0. In some ways, I learned more in one month at my internship than I did in one semester of class. So if you need to cram for an exam, but your mentor offers you a last-minute professional opportunity, don’t be afraid to choose the latter.

2.      Make stuff. There will be days when you had to run home to Galloway without an umbrella or you didn’t have time for a decent lunch at WAG. Consider the benefits of coming home to a dorm room that makes you proud. Decorate with do-it-yourself wall designs or light up the room with a crafty lampshade. It’s the little things.

3.       Prepare for financial independence. First, make a budget. Just do it. Even if you don’t follow your monthly financial plans exactly, guidelines will help prepare you for after-college money realities. Although you may not need work to pay for college, earning some of your own income will also offer independence—the rewarding kind, not the I-can-go-out-to-Fibbers-whenever-I-want kind.

4.       Live locally. More exists in Wilmington then the campus of UNCW. In fact, this town offers many hidden gems. Venture away from the crowded Starbucks and Port City Java. Try studying in an independently owned coffee shop like Luna Caffe on Castle Street, or just buy local when you can.

5.       Exercise. Freshman 15 is real. And even if your metabolism can handle regular late-night trips to Cookout, consistent activity will help in other ways like relieving stress after a big exam. Besides, our gym looks beautiful after the long-awaited renovations—it makes you want to use exercise equipment.

6.       It’s okay to be alone. Perhaps, none of your roommates or new friends can meet you for a lunch in between classes one day. Perhaps, you begin to panic because you fear sitting at Hawks Nest alone. Believe it or not, you’ll be okay. Sometimes spending quality time with just yourself and a BBQ slider from Green Spot can leave you feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.

7.       Join clubs/organizations, but not all of them. Of course, college provides many students the chance to explore varied interests. By all means, try new things, but not all at one time. UNCW offers more than 100 clubs and activities from Ukulele Club to the Pre-Law Society. Commit to only one or two groups at a time so you can feel engaged in a new organization.

8.       Ease into core courses. My first year of college felt like high school—history, English, math, science, repeat. Maybe, you’d rather finish those general education classes as soon as possible, but know that doesn’t have to be the case. Spice up your course load; truly explore your intended major in your first year (if possible). In fact, you can avoid taking some core classes altogether. Consider credit-by-examination tests like CLEP and DSST by asking University Testing Services for more information.

9.       Pace yourself. Transitions, even positive ones, should be accepted at a comfortable speed. This upcoming growth, both educational and personal, may cause overzealous behavior. Slow down sometimes—be aware of the effects of any new activities from writing your most researched essay to drinking alcohol with new friends.