UNCW One Card design updated

Jessica Nelson | Contributing Writer

UNCW students, faculty, and staff should expect to receive new One Cards after spring break.

The One Card, according to UNCW’s website, is the official form of identification on campus. The cards have had the same make and design since 2006, but like the school logo, the One Cards are also receiving a makeover.  

Designs for the new One Card were made by one of the graphic designers in the Office of University Relations. The final designs were then submitted to student groups and administrative groups for feedback, before released to the campus for voting. Students voted on two designs from Feb. 9-13, with 88 percent picking option 1- the beach design.

Marketing Specialist, Megan Allred, explains that the design on the card is not the only major change.  

“We are expanding on smart chip technology by introducing a dual technology card,” Allred said, “This new state of the art technology card includes the current iClass smart chip and the new MiFare smart chip. The implementation of the MiFare chip will ultimately eliminate the swiping function of the One Card, once all hardware has been upgraded.”

It has been noticed that the magnetic strip on the current One Card wears out over time, causing students and staff to have to pay to replace it. The idea for the new One Card is that eventually swiping will no longer be needed. Once all of the hardware on campus has been updated, UNCW will offer tap and go transactions. The dual chip will greatly enhance the functionality of the card and hopefully decrease the number of replacement cards. 

“Every student, staff, and faculty member will be required to get a new card,” Allred said. “Campus identification must remain consistent to avoid confusion.”

The new One Cards will be given out at no cost and students, faculty, and staff will be given the opportunity to take their own One Card photo. Requirements for the photo and more detailed information on how to use the online submission will be provided when the rollout begins.

The UNCW community consists of over 14,000 people, all whom will need to upgrade their One Cards. Megan explained how they plan to distribute them.

“ We will be utilizing pick-up locations such as Wagoner Hall, the Rec Center, Fisher Union, etc,” she said, “Students will submit their photo as instructed and will then be emailed their designated pick-up location.”

However, to receive the new One Card, old One Cards must be exchanged.

“I am excited about the new One Card design,” UNCW Senior Catherine Bowers said. “But I really want to be able to keep my old One Card also.”

Catherine has kept up with her original One Card from freshman year and was hoping on being able to keep it as a memory from her time at UNCW. However, according to the One Card office, in order to receive the new One Card free of cost, the old one must be turned in.

“I do like that we can submit our own photo, though,” she said. “I always hear people complain about how bad their picture is.”

The rollout for the new One Cards is scheduled to be announced and begin sometime after spring break. The winning design and voting results can be found on the One Card webpage: www.uncw.edu/onecard