Is UNCW’s new meal plan best for healthy eating?

Abigail Clark | Contributing Writer

UNCW has undergone a number of transformations over the summer in regards to our dining and meal plan options. For one, the meal plan system has completely changed (as I assume you are well aware). We now have “Teal Meal” options, which are available for use almost everywhere, as well as “Guest Swipes” (which let’s be real, will probably be put to use by none other than myself.). 

But more notably, the renovations of Hawk’s Nest in Fisher Student Union have left many wondering about the availability of healthy and wholesome food on campus. Unfortunately, the tendency towards food high in carbs and fat is not an unusual one, especially in the United States. 

Nationwide, obesity rates are soaring as the prevalence and popularity of junk food increases. It only seems logical that colleges would be the first to try to combat this detrimental trend. However, UNCW has far to go, and nothing can be done unless students band together to fight for the health and well being of our campus. 

To begin, the expansion of Chick-fil-a has overtaken Freshins, the smoothie chain that so many students frequented as a healthy alternative to other options available in Hawk’s Nest. Freshins offered real fruit smoothies, as well as protein powders for an additional boost.  Not only did Chick-fil-a encroach upon our beloved smoothie place, but also the build-your-own salad and baked potato bar as well.  

Through a simple meal swipe, students were able to make their own salad, as well as choose between the option of a baked potato, or a bowl of soup. Although salads are still available at Greenspot, food dollars or personal money are the only ways to purchase them.  If you’re like me, I either run out of food dollars quickly, or do not have cash on hand, making the salads inconvenient and expensive. 

While I like Chick-fil-a as much as the next person (who doesn’t like buttery bread, enclosing equally tender, crispy chicken?), it isn’t worth the cost of the two healthiest stations in Hawk’s Nest. After all, “the grab and go” style of Chick-fil-a before renovations worked just fine- not to mention reduced lines. 

Even the restaurants that do provide healthy options are paired with sides that are high in fat and sodium. For example, at Subway, students are able to get a sandwich, chips, and a drink for one meal swipe. However, many students have mentioned that there should be another alternative to the sides, such as an apple or banana, instead of potato chips or French fries. 

In retrospect, the availability of chips and junk food creates a tendency towards detrimental foods. The eating habits that we have now our likely to continue into adulthood. While eating junk food in moderation is not a bad thing, it easily becomes a habit.  

Another notable pitfall of our dining system is Tsunami, an Asian-style restaurant known for their hot bowls and sushi. Tsunami is notorious for their “chicken and broccoli” hot bowls. Contrary to popular belief, “broccoli” should not be included in the name. Much to my dismay, there has never been a time when I’ve seen more than one piece of vegetable in a hot bowl. 

For those students who are trying to eat healthily on campus, options are limited.  UNCW took away the healthiest spots in Hawk’s Nest. In order for us to create a healthier (and arguably, happier) campus, students should petition UNCW for better options, even if it begins with the sides at Subway. There is no step too small. After all, if we want to be healthier, it all begins with us.