Her Campus UNCW presents #ActuallySheCan “Path to Success” panel

Sierra Shepherd | Lifestyles Editor

On Wednesday, Sept. 23, the UNC Wilmington chapter of Her Campus hosts a panel session created by women in leadership. The event takes places on campus in the Burney Center Ballroom.

Her Campus Magazine is an online community for college-aged women, and connects them globally.

UNCW was chosen by the Her Campus Nationals as one of two schools to hold the event.

“We convinced nationals that UNCW would be the perfect place to support this event. It is meant to be a career building event, and we felt that UNCW students would enjoy this opportunity,” said Co-Campus Correspondent and UNCW student Francesca Giordano. 

The social media campaign #ActuallySheCan stands for women’s strength and the encouragement of female ambition.

According to Senior Account Executive, Mica Keeney, men and women are invited to “join the conversation”, as panelists discuss career success, personal goals, and health.

Her Campus UNCW is supporting the movement because it aligns with the goals and purpose of the magazine – to connect and inspire women.

“#ActuallySheCan [is] an innovative campaign,” said Giordano, “that encourages female empowerment by inspiring young millennial women to pursue their personal, health, wellness and societal goals. I believe these two organizations go perfectly hand in hand.” 

The event features a diverse lineup of celebrity panelists: journalist, editor, and author, Jo Piazza, celebrity yoga instructor, Kristin McGee, Price & Glory founder, Jennifer Walsh and Her Campus Media’s Director of Community Development & Strategic Programming, Brittany Lewis.

“We have amazing panelists,” said Giordano, “who are there to encourage and teach [attendees how] to do what they truly want to do…Not only is this a great event to come listen to, it is also an opportunity for students to network and maybe get their foot in the door for a future job or internship.”

The Seahawk interviewed panelists Piazza, McGee and Walsh:

Jo Piazza –

Q: Where did you get your start in journalism?

A: “I was an intern at the New York Times in their Trenton Bureau during my senior year at the University of Pennsylvania where I was also an editor at the student newspaper The Daily Pennsylvania.”

Q: What is the most rewarding part of your job?

A: “Being able to share stories with the world. Finding those stories and putting them out there.”

Q: What do students stand to learn from the #ActuallySheCan event?

A: “That young women have absolutely no limitations to what they can accomplish and that they should let go of their fear and just go for their dreams. Also the importance of women helping other women. That is one of the reasons I am where I am today. Some wonderful women have helped me along the way.”

Piazza added, “Every time I have faced adversity I have attempted to plow through it head on. I have done the same things with challenges I wanted to accomplish, namely writing books. It was hard to let go of the fear of failing and I have failed plenty of times, but I have found that continuing to put myself out there has helped me accomplish everything I have accomplished”

Jennifer Walsh-

Q: What advice do you have for collegiate women who feel pressure to keep up with beauty and fashion trends? 

A: “Young women should not try to follow trends but create their own in how the act and treat others. Be an influence for good and you can be the stone that creates the ripple of beauty.”

Q: Regarding entrepreneurship, especially when you were first beginning, from where did/do you draw inspiration to overcome challenges? 

A: “When I first started in the late 90s, there weren’t many female entrepreneurs so I felt alone in a lot that I was trying to do. I searched out others and still do that inspire me and uplift others. Now, 18 years later as an entrepreneur in beauty, I have continuously surrounded myself with women who draw out the best in me, that make me persevere, that help me see the light on the darkest of days. As entrepreneurship is not easy, there is nothing easy about it. You need to have good people around you to support you. Thankfully, I have also had the support of my immediate family.”

Q: What impact do you wish to leave on UNC Wilmington by participating in the #ActuallySheCan event? 

A: “To empower others to believe in themselves to do what they wish to achieve and to become a driving force in anything that they wish to become. How you treat others can directly affect your community, so make it impactful. It could be just by volunteering – just remember that your voice has meaning and impact to be aware of all that you can do.”

Walsh added, “In the face of adversity, which we will all face, one can choose how to go through it. You can be hateful and angry or you can go through something with grace and integrity.”

Kristin McGee –

Q: How did yoga become such a cornerstone of your life? What lead you to the decision to teach, especially to young women?

A: “I discovered yoga when I was an acting major at NYU Tisch School and fell in LOVE with it. I noticed how it made everything better-my sleeping, my eating habits, my relationships, my physical, mental and spiritual health. When I graduated I certified to teach yoga as I pursued my acting career and yet the yoga took over and became my career. I have always been passionate about helping young women discover their true self and calling. Yoga is such an amazing tool for women. Yoga helps build community, authenticity and helps women tap in to their full potential. I think if I hadn’t discovered yoga, I wouldn’t be where I am today and I want all women to find that same connection for their mind and body and spirit.”

Q: How do you define success, and how do you encourage others to reach their full potential?

A: “Success is finding a job that doesn’t feel like work. Success is waking up in the morning and feeling happy to be alive and proud of who you are what you do. Success is inspiring others and being inspired. I encourage others to reach their full potential by truly listening to that inner voice that guides us through life. If we take the time to truly connect to our gut instinct and live from a place that is authentic and real, we have such an amazing spark and passion for all that we do and our potential is limitless!”

Q: Why do you believe in the phrase, and campaign, #ActuallySheCan ?

A: “I can’t imagine not believing in such an incredible campaign that tells women YES YES YES! So often we doubt ourselves and there needs to be more organizations and communities that tell women that anything is possible and that encourages women to support each other.” 

McGee ended by noting, “I’m just so honored to be a part of this campaign.”

Event organizers were clear that while its target audience is women, the content is applicable to any person in any given walk of life.

“We welcome all students to attend this event,” said Giordano. “Regardless of who you are, you might learn something to benefit your future!

Registration is free, and food, giveaways, and a photo opportunity are provided. More information can be found on Facebook.