Spikeball makes its way to UNCW

Brittany Murdock | Sports Editor

During the spring semester of 2015, a new organization made their way to campus. Not only was the organization new, but so was the sport they were introducing. With over 40 students hosted during the first practice of the fall semester and with hopes of 50 active members to join this semester, the organization has taken off better than expected. Let me introduce you to the game of Spikeball.

The game involves two teams of two players that are lined up across from one another with a Spikeball net in the center. The net is small and circular, and sits on the ground at ankle level. The ball is put into play with a serve and the object of the game is to hit the ball into the net so that the opposing team can’t return it.

The team here on campus doesn’t require any previous knowledge or skill to attend practices and they take great interest and pride into teaching others about this great sport. A hard work ethic can be found throughout all of the members of this organization and although it takes practice and patience to master the sport, you can always find the team having fun.

“The greatest part of being a part of UNCW Spikeball is the amount of fun we have,” said Hailey Stephenson, marketing director of the team. “Whether it’s 20 degrees and we are taking breaks to huddle in groups to keep warm, or 95 degrees and pouring down rain that floods the fields, we play, we laugh, and we make amazing memories!”

The team focuses on maintaining a healthy and positive atmosphere on the field as well as off. Members have established such strong relationships that two members will be competing in SpikeballNationals. This year Austen Truhe and president of the organization, Michael Hayes, will compete this year in Tennessee and the team is extremely thrilled for this experience.

“The more we play together, the more chemistry we develop,” said Hayes in regard to his teammate Truhe. “In the short time we have been partners, we have been able to communicate really well when it comes to strategic plays and better ways to outplay our opponents.”

As the organization continues to gain new members every week, they are looking forward to a great and exciting year by planning and organizing tournaments against other schools such as the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill and North Carolina State University. There are high hopes for the future of this sport here on campus.

“I hope that Spikeball club grows the sport as much as possible,” said member and avid player, Alex Henderson. “I have some of the most fun I’ve ever had playing around with my friends and I want to share that with the school that I love. As a club, we want to become more competitive at tournaments, but most importantly grow the sport around UNCW and the world.”

The team meets every Friday at 3 p.m. on the intramural fields. Everyone is encouraged and welcomed to attend practice and learn more about this fun and fast growing sport.