REC*IT Changing Sports one Schedule at a Time

Noah Thomas | Assistant Sports Editor

College life is full of distractions. Balancing schoolwork, a social life, and even having a job can take up a majority of a student’s free time. However, free time does have its way of sometimes becoming more abundant than usual.

Some students choose to take up intramural or club sports to help themselves become more involved in on-campus life, while others enjoying playing a sport without the strict time commitment.

But with all distractions, time management becomes a challenge. That is where REC*IT comes in.

REC*IT, a new app developed by MOKO Social Media, compiles all the logistics of playing intramural sports and streamlines them into a simple, efficient way of keeping track of schedules, dates, and times. These are all important factors that are imperative to being an active member of a competitive sports team.

“With the exception of hangovers, miscommunication is the number one cause of absence when it comes to intramural sports,” said Cameron Brody, a representative for REC*IT in an email interview. “With the shifting schedules and general forgetfulness of an entire league’s worth of people, keeping everyone up to date on practices and games can be a nightmare.”

At the helm of REC*IT’s development and marketing is Dereck Faulkner. Faulkner is the University Relations Director of REC*IT and acts as the overseer of development, marketing, and customer service as well as other areas. As a former wide receiver for the Philadelphia Eagles, he knows a thing or two about teamwork.

“I’m in charge of a team of almost 20 people,” said Faulkner in a phone interview. “It’s a bit different from catching footballs from [Donovan] McNabb. It’s all about setting certain goals, just like you would in the professionals.”

Development of the app began around two years ago when an Australian-based media company merged with MOKO Social Media. The basic idea of REC*IT was tested with a small number of schools to test effectiveness.

“We were able to see where we could find our traction and build relationships with schools and see if this mobile tool could be viable for recreation professionals and students,” said Faulkner.

Now, REC*IT’s practical use has made it essential for recreation departments across the country. Its widespread popularity has boomed since its official launch in June of 2014.

“Schools are being added literally once a week,” Faulkner said. “Over 1,100 schools [currently use the app], now we’re almost at 1,200. It shows a huge growth for us. We were at 750-800 campuses when we launched.”

Indeed, students at the University of North Carolina Wilmington have benefited from the app’s use. Jordan Short, a member of UNCW’s club baseball team, uses the app regularly to manage his time with the team.

“It’s helpful because it organizes our schedule and stats into one place that’s user friendly and easily accessible,” said Short.

Faulkner drew from personal experience when discussing just how helpful the app can be for college students. He played college football for Hampton University from 2003-2007.

“In college, you have a strict, rigid schedule that goes throughout the day [and] college students are so busy,” said Faulkner. “Most are maximizing their time in school, involved in two or three different organizations, but need something to help them organize their lifestyle activities.”

Faulkner also explains the great benefits the app provides.

“I think this is what this app helps just because it gives students an opportunity to check their schedules and gives them accountability to their team,” said Faulkner. “So now you’re not the guy who ruins it for someone else. It gives the team the best chance to play effectively and manage their rosters and their schedules.”