Career fair and student-athletes merge to make connections

Sports Editor: Brittany Murdock

With pressure to thrive in the classroom, time-consuming practices, and traveling long distances for conference games, it can be difficult for student-athletes to get their foot in the door in terms of finding employment. Since employment seeking can be stressful for many student-athletes, UNC-Wilmington held a successful event to expose student-athletes to various employers earlier this month.

UNCW Athletics partnered with Northwestern Mutual, a life insurance and financial planning company that gave almost 60 junior and senior Seahawk student-athletes an opportunity to meet potential future employers and participate in networking workshops. The workshops were led by the UNCW Career Services staff.

Companies at the event ranged from Waffle House, Red Cross, and Castle Branch to Target, Verizon Wireless, Northwestern Mutual, and Enterprise Holdings. Workshops covered elevator speeches, LinkedIn profiles, and proper networking etiquette. These workshops not only provided student-athletes with skills when interacting with professionals but also eased the nerves that many had.

“The task of searching for employment can be daunting for students,” said Drew Scales, assistant athletic director for Student-Athlete Support Services to UNCW Athletics. “To ease the anxiety associated with securing employment some may harbor, the SASS staff invited companies into a familiar building where our student-athletes are comfortable.”

Following these workshops were networking sessions where student-athletes interacted with recruiters about their businesses. Conversation and professional attire did not go unnoticed as recruiters filled out and submitted evaluations regarding the strengths and weaknesses of the student-athletes and their success in making a great first impression on recruiters.

UNCW student-athletes were not the only ones benefitting from this great career fair.

“Many companies are seeking student-athletes as prospective employees,” said Scales to UNCW Athletics. “Hosting an event to cultivate career development was a definite win-win scenario for both UNCW student-athletes and the companies represented.”

Student-athletes can continue to excel in practices and in games, knowing their future is headed in the right direction.