Upperman Center prepares for new year and new events

Malia Benison | Contributing Writer

With a fresh year commencing for the diverse clubs of UNC-Wilmington, the Upperman African American Cultural Center, which celebrated 20 years in 2015, has been preparing for many great things to come.

Mr. Brandon Bell, the Excellence Project Coordinator for Upperman, spoke about how last semester the campus engaged in many speaking events and shared opportunities with the organization, allowing students regardless of their race or ethnicity to indulge in the critically, well-versed support system that Upperman offers.

As students and faculty find their way back onto campus, the Upperman Center will be scheduling various events, working hard to find inclusive programs for all to join.

Throughout the continuation of the year, the Upperman Center looks forward to “creating a new strategic plan for the next couple of years,” said Bell.

Luckily for the Upperman Center, January dives right into the Martin Luther King Jr. holiday. With multiple events planned for the annual MLK Program, students and staff can expect to see many significant speakers such as Bernice A. King, the daughter of Martin Luther King Jr.

If you are interested in attending the event, she will be here on campus to speak about her father’s legacy and many more key notes this Friday, Jan. 22.

If you cannot make it to the speaking, there will be other events coming soon. UNCW can expect to hear from many great figures such as internal candidates, community partners, and faculty, according to Bell. In addition, Upperman’s regular academic support programs and lectures will resume for all interested individuals.

Bell notes that as Upperman continues to support the legacy of Leroy Upperman, whom the organization is named after, the Upperman Center understands that it is okay to disagree. Its goal is to encourage students in moments of disagreements “to have those conversations in a civil, academic manner,” said Bell.

The Upperman Center’s schedule of events will be posted soon as the semester continues. Even if you feel there is nothing to gain from the programs offered, Mr. Bell encourages students to come out in support, as they are “advocates for diversity and inclusion across our college campus.”