UNCW Habitat for Humanity to spend spring break serving Florida

The UNCW Habitat for Humanity volunteers help build a house in Michigan.

Hannah Williams, Assistant News Editor

While the majority of their fellow students will be relaxing in the sun or kicking back with friends, eight members of UNC Wilmington’s chapter of Habitat for Humanity will spend spring break at work brandishing hard hats and hammers.

Habitat for Humanity, a charity-based organization designed to build houses for those in need, is currently planning a trip to build in Dade City, Fla. over spring break.

Many schools across the country have Habitat for Humanity chapters, and over spring break many of those chapters work together in multiple locations nationwide to build homes. This event is called the “Collegiate Challenge,” and UNCW’s chapter is proud to participate this year.

“Collegiate Challenge is a weeklong trip… designed to have college students partner with volunteers… where they will help build a house for a family in need,” said Madison Duhan, Collegiate Challenge coordinator for the UNCW Chapter of Habitat for Humanity.

Unfortunately, this trip does not come free; its price is steep.

“We need $2,000 for a team of eight of us to go,” said Duhan. “That includes the Habitat registration fees, building supplies, transportation and food.”

Duhan and her cohorts in Habitat for Humanity have prepared a number of venues through which charitable people can donate to the cause.

“We have made a GoFundMe page and will be having a fundraiser at Jason’s Deli next Thursday, Feb. 18,” said Duhan.

Kyndra Lawson, Fundraising Chair of Habitat for Humanity, says that if potential donors will simply buy a meal at Jason’s Deli between 5 and 10 p.m. on Feb. 18 and place their receipts in a box beside the register, 15 percent of the bills will go to support their trip.

According to their website, this event will take place at the Jason’s Deli on 5301 Market St.

“We plan to organize many other fundraisers before the trip to ensure that we are fully funded,” said Duhan.

This is not the first time that members of Habitat for Humanity have relinquished their spring break in order to build a house for someone without one. Lawson says that just last year, members ventured to Michigan during spring break for the Collegiate Challenge.

“UNCW has been going on Collegiate Challenge for several years now, and it’s a great way to serve those beyond UNCW and even beyond Wilmington,” said Duhan. “It’s good to not only see that there are people who are in need of homes right here in Wilmington, but also all across the U.S. and world.”

Duhan and Lawson both believe the Collegiate Challenge is an amazing opportunity to help the less fortunate.

“I am personally looking forward to the impact we can leave on Dade City, Fla. in such a tangible way,” said Duhan. “I think it’s going to be extremely rewarding to be able to see change and progress on a house that I know will be someone’s home in the future. There is no doubt that it’s going to be lots of hard work and physically exhausting, but so much fun as well. I’m also excited about getting to know my fellow Habitat club members better!”

Lawson encourages students to donate. “Whatever they can donate would help a lot, because it goes to a good cause. It would really help someone in need,” said Lawson.

To donate on their GoFundMe page, visit www.gofundme.com/8wkq3qs any time before March 4.