Slow but necessary growth of diversity in UNCW admissions

Malia Benison | Contributing Writer

UNC Wilmington, a school that is avidly reaching for prestige in all fields, has recently been under criticism by the student body in regards to the lack of diversity.

According to UNCW’s demographic facts, only 18 percent of the enrolled fall 2015 freshman class is of “ethnic diversity.”

Given that the statistics are valid and the term “ethnic diversity” is synonymous with non-white, this leaves the university with an 82 percent white majority.

Consequently, this has left some students uncomfortable knowing the campus is disproportionately lacking in diversity.

An example of this discontent during our current school year was when UNCW’s own Black Student Union silently protested the lack of diversity at UNCW. However, the voices of those in the protest were not the only ones heard.

Following the silent protest as a demand for multiplicity organized by the Black Student Union, many students took to the anonymous app Yik Yak to voice their own opinions.

Students expressed either their favor, neutrality or disdain for the lack of diversity. While the matter reigns controversial, some students proposed the question of whether or not affirmative action was a factor when considering potentially admitted students.

Working in the admissions office for well over 10 years, Lauren Scott noted that the admissions process, for first year students exclusively, is taken with a holistic approach.

As academics are their top priority, admissions disregards any factors of race and ethnicity, legacy connections to the university or any ability to play a sport.

The foundation of their analysis is based strongly on a student’s academics and rankings, letters of recommendations and activities they were involved in.

These factors are admissions’ “primary point of view” when reviewing applications, according to Scott.

Scott also referred to the admissions office as being “need blind,” or without focus, towards factors that may call for a physical, mental or financial need based appeal.

“We look to admit a student that we know is going to be academically successful here first,” said Scott.

As admissions works towards holding UNCW to their academic excellence standard, which is rising with each incoming year, Scott also stated that admissions takes into close consideration the consequences facing the university and individual if a student was admitted based on affirmative action.

“It would be unjust to a student to admit them to an environment that they wouldn’t be successful in,” said Scott.

According to the UNCW database on enrolled demographics, ethnic minorities are growing slowly within the student body.

From the 2014 school year to the 2015 school year, UNCW saw a rise in diversity rates from 16.9 percent to 18.3 percent. Similarly, the enrolled transfers of the same compared school years rose from 18.6 percent to 19.6 percent.

Some ethnicities are limited in information due to only recent recognition beginning in 2009; however, the historical and recent data shows inching growth of minorities on campus.

Looking towards ways to increase the steady growth in diverse applications, the admissions office devotes roughly nine counselors to travel across and outside the state to advertise the university to high schools.

Choosing high schools wisely, the office decides accordingly based on graduation rates, the mobility of out of state students and the school’s diversity from gender, ethnicity and academic areas of interest. 

“We want to go to a high school that is a very diverse school to promote the university so we get the best well-rounded class,” said Scott.

The admissions office also works closely with other on campus organizations such as the Upperman African American Cultural Center and Centro Hispaño in an effort to reach out to more students through their programs.

The cooperation of these organizations is helpful in recruiting diverse students, specifically through the promotion of on campus tours and attending college fairs.

And, according to Chancellor Sartarelli’s website, UNCW was ranked “8th Best in Closing the Gap between six-year graduation rates of majority and minority students,” by The Education Trust, a nonprofit organization recognizing schools for academic justice.

Although the student body may not see immediate, large results, the university is confident in continuing to see diversity rates rise while continuing to push for scholastic excellence.

“It’s a greater university effort that is helping move that number up the scale,” said Scott, giving respect to the various resolves towards making this university greater with each academic year.