UNCW College Republicans bring Trump to Trask

Republican U.S. Presidential candidate Donald Trump holds a press conference at Trump National Doral July 27, 2016 in Miami, Fla. (Charles Trainor Jr./Miami Herald/TNS)

Casey McAnarney, Editor in Chief

UNC Wilmington’s College Republicans will be sponsoring a campaign event for Donald J. Trump on Tuesday, Aug. 9, at 2 p.m. in Trask Coliseum.

The student organization will hold the event, which conforms to the university policy that states that registered student organizations hold a right to host speakers and events.

These events do not reflect endorsement by the university, rather they reflect the specific organization’s views.

UNCW College Republicans President Kyle Lewis will formally endorse Trump on behalf of the UNCW College Republicans on Tuesday during the event.

When asked how the student organization was able to bring Trump to campus, Lewis said that he has to “defer all questions relating to the planning and organization of the event to [the presidential candidate’s] campaign.”

Though the organization is fully endorsing Mr. Trump, Lewis does like to emphasize the importance of getting involved in politics at all levels.

“We have multiple opportunities to get involved in local and state politics in the Wilmington area for anybody who is interested,” according to Lewis. “I would tell anyone who is on the verge of getting involved to understand that grassroots movements are where democracy works best.”

While this is not a UNCW-sponsored event, the Office of University Relations said that they will continue to keep students and community members posted about possible campus impacts via UNCW.edu.

Check back for more updates as well as coverage of the event at theseahawk.org.