Hurricane Hermine update

Malia Benison | Assistant News Editor

The tropical storm Hermine has now upgraded to hurricane status and is sweeping the lower east coast. 56 Georgia counties have declared a state of emergency and multiple universities are canceling classes as a result of the intense storm watch.

According to the projected path of Hermine, Wilmington will be experiencing harsh conditions Friday evening. Wilmington is within the spectrum of areas receiving mostly the outskirts of the storm, however, officials are advising students to take caution.

As of now, UNC-Wilmington has declined to cancel classes across campus and will be awaiting updates before mandating any canceling of classes or evacuations. Students will be updated through all media, specifically direct email updates administered by the university.

According to the Office of University Relations, UNC-Wilmington will only be experiencing “heavy rains, gusty winds and potential flooding,” on campus and in surrounding areas. Beach areas are reportedly already affected by “dangerous rip currents,” so it is advised to stay out of the waters and for residents to take precaution.

For students traveling to and from campus, wind gusts will reach 50-55 mph and roads may become hazardous. Flooding will be expected and students are advised to remain indoors as much as possible during the event of the storm.

Students are encouraged to exercise caution when attending classes and should contact their instructors if their best judgement determines that the weather conditions are too perilous to merit attending classes.