UNC football player accused of rape turns himself in

Malia Benison | Assistant News Editor

Sept. 13, Allen Artis, a football player at UNC Chapel Hill, turned himself over to authorities after a warrant was issued for his arrest on the basis of rape accusations against him that began accumulating in early March.

Sophomore Delaney Robinson accused Artis of sexual assault on Feb. 14 at the Ram Village apartments on UNC’s campus.

Artis is accused of pinning Robinson down with his weight while raping her. The warrant also includes Robinson’s accusation that Artis pulled against her bra strap during the rape, leaving bruised indentations on her shoulder and back.

Considered to have been taken on the night of the assault, photos Robinson provided to her lawyer, Denise Branch, show physical assault markings. Robinson’s neck in the photograph is covered with darkened bruising.

Although charged with sexual battery and assault on a female, Artis and his attorney have denied commenting on the matter.

Robinson has stormed media outlets with both her public statements about the rape as well as criticism towards UNC’s handling of the event.

In Robinson’s initial handling of the event, she took to UNC’s Title IX’s interim Compliance Coordinator, Katie Nolan, to report her sexual assault on March 9.

The conclusion of the investigation by Title IX for Robinson was reportedly pushed off several times and initially had expectations to be finalized by July 5. Robinson’s decision, however, did not reach its final verdict date until June 24, according to The Daily Tarheel.

In addition to the alleged untimeliness of the investigation, Branch accused the university of violating their own policy by distributing a statement by Robinson before the conclusion of their investigation.

UNC Chapel Hill students have backed much of Robinson and Branch’s criticism towards UNC as well. 

Yaa Sarpon, a UNC student, has recently expressed her discomfort in UNC’s ability to handle sexual assault cases with consideration.

“I feel no sense of safety or security in this school,” Sarpon commented.

After hearing back and forth conversation from students on campus and comments from officials about Artis, Sarpon considered the current handling of the case as “a game of ‘he said she said,’” as opposed to trusting Robinson’s claim to be a sexual assault victim.

Chancellor Carol L. Folt has said that addressing the issue of sexual assault is UNC’s highest priority, but students like Ruthie Allen are not confident in such statements by the university.

“When you hear about something like this, it’s a reminder that many people in positions of power at this university prioritize athletics/money/pride/reputation over my wellbeing [as a woman],” said Allen.

Artis was released on a $5,000 unsecured bond and suspended from the football team as of Tuesday. He will have another court date Sept. 29, however, it is unclear whether or not he will be required to attend.

Malia Benison | @maliabenison