• Sign outside of Randall Library. (Samantha Hill/The Seahawk)

Culture

REDdress demonstration outside of Randall Library

• Image of the April 2 SGA Meeting where they discussed the grading point-scale change. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

SGA looks to implement universal 10-point grading scale

• Photos of

News

Q&A with 2024-2025 school year student body president and student body vice president

• Image of emergency service vehicles outside of Morton. (Peyton James/The Seahawk)

News

​​COVID cluster or electrical fire?

• Biden-Harris administration hosts roundtable to discuss the experiences of two womens pregnancies post the overturn of Roe v. Wade in 2022 (Courtesy of the Biden Campaign).

News

Biden Campaign sits down with student journalists to discuss abortion rights

• Randall Library is under construction as UNCW works to expand the building and resources it offers. (Peyton Lewis/The Seahawk)

News

UNCW invests in new expansion to Randall Library

• People walk with You belong signs at a Pride month protest. (Adiden Craver/Unsplash.com)

Culture

Community, isolation and politics: The mental health of queer students at UNCW

• Group shot of SWE. (Courtesy: Tyler Stubbs)

News

Dredging on Wrightsville Beach coming to a close

• Signs for primary candidates posted outside of an early voting site. (Jackson Davenport/The Seahawk)

News

The New Hanover County candidates on your general election ballot

• Smoke rises from Village Green, as seen from the Central Deck parking garage. (Amelia McNeese/The Seahawk)

News

Fire at Green Village Apartments displaces residents and students

Ad seeking college-age actors for TV production

FAFSA delays: what’s next for students

FAFSA applications may be delayed until March (Andril Dodonov/iStock). (Getty Images/iStockphoto)

Following the redesign of the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) form, the U.S. Department of Education released a statement on Jan. 30, saying most colleges will not receive decisions until around mid-March. In previous years, most applicant information was released around late January.

One of the issues is related to the FAFSA’s affordability calculation, also known as the “Student Aid Index,” which estimates how much a family can afford to pay for their student. With this new calculation, an additional $1.8 billion in aid will be provided for incoming college students.

The purpose of the redesign was to simplify the FAFSA form to ensure more students of low-income backgrounds would receive Federal Pell Grants. The overhaul to the FAFSA system was passed by Congress from mandates in 2019 and 2020. The updated form was released on Dec. 30 and was expected to allow more students to be eligible for aid. More than 3.1 million applications have been successfully submitted and now await further action.

In 2022, the Biden administration requested additional funding for the overhaul, but Congress opted to leave the budget the same as the previous year.

“UNCW still hopes to release financial aid notifications to new admits by April 1 and a formal communication will be released soon and once exact plans are finalized,” said the UNCW FINAID office in a statement released to The Seahawk. “The timeline for notifications being sent to current and returning students should remain unchanged and are expected to be released soon after spring grades are due in May as in prior years.”

This is a developing story. We will update you as the situation continues.